1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best set-up near Philadelphia PA?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JosephRose, Dec 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JosephRose

JosephRose

Nov 9, 2016
    Philly-ish
    I've searched and found a couple of things, but most seem old and some info seems out of date, dead links, etc.

Who should I look to near Philly to help get my Fender short scale (Mustang PJ) perfectly set?

2. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
  3. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
  4. JosephRose

JosephRose

Nov 9, 2016
    Philly-ish
  5. I've often wondered the same thing. Subscribed!

6. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    I would avoid D-town guitars. I had them route a j pickup in my p bass. Got the guitar back and the route looks like they free handed the entire route. It was a total amateur job. Good news is that it forced me to learn how to do my own routing.

7. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    It takes a little time, and still, learning to do your own setup is completely worth it. You can get your bass playing exactly how you want, and best of all, it's free!

There's the truss adjustment, bridge saddles, intonating those saddles, then pickup height. All you need, are some allen wrenches, a screwdriver, and most of all, being careful in the process. It's nothing to be nervous about...TONS of tutorials on YouTube!

Also, lots of people recommend the attached manual (in the link I pasted), even though, in my opinion, you maybe need only a few out of the 62 pages, seriously. All of those pages are just to cover every kind of neck and body aspect out there. It pretty much covers everything for anyone. Only thing, is that I prefer to adjust the neck first, before the bridge, because the truss and neck are the spine of the instrument. If those are crap, then the bass is toast.

Anyway:

http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/akcndfr54jdhrei567/Ultimate_Guide_ver100.pdf

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    JosephRose and Spidey2112 like this.
  8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Yep...

9. JosephRose

JosephRose

Nov 9, 2016
    Philly-ish
    Thank you sir.

songwriter21 likes this.
  10. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
  11. JosephRose

JosephRose

Nov 9, 2016
    Philly-ish
    I went to jack.

DarrenRV likes this.
  12. DarrenRV

DarrenRV

Sep 28, 2010
    Virgin Islands
    Does anyone have or can get an email address for Jack?

13. stephaniemac7

stephaniemac7

Jan 21, 2012
    I lived in Manhattan for nearly 40 years and was used to the excellent work of Roger Sadowsky and Mas Hino. Since moving back to my hometown of Philadelphia I’ve spent a small fortune of wasted money going to several recommended techs in the area and I can only recommend Rick Emery at Mainline Music in Ardmore, Mike Tierney in Germantown, Di Pinto’s in Fishtown, and if you are willing to drive to Bridgewater NJ, Mark Simon.