1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best setup for 3 basses on stage?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by btmend, Dec 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. btmend

btmend

Dec 7, 2017
    I am looking for thoughts, ideas and recommendations for how best to set up 3 basses going into 1 rig on-stage. Ideally, I would like to have the following:

3 - basses (4, 5 and electric upright)
    3 different EQ / tone settings - 1 for each bass
    1 amp
    1 speaker cab

Cable or Wireless, as long as I can mute 2 basses while playing 1 is what I want. Looking for the ability for quick changeover between basses.

THanks!

2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    TC RH450 with 3 memory banks & mute switch & tuner all on one foot switch.
    A 2x10 whatever.

Scottkarch likes this.
  3. Fx budget?

4. Cheap and chearful: Deluxe Sansamp plus A/B pedal for two basses and the other input of the Samsamp gets the other bass. Total of 6 patch presets on hand, with switchable fx loop which can be preassigned on or off in each patch.

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Just get a small passive mixer.

Wisebass and charlie monroe like this.
  6. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I would use a small ACTIVE mixer. The OP asked for individual EQ.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Depends how much EQ control you need.

8. btmend

btmend

Dec 7, 2017
    The EQ is minimal. The real challenge is the 5 string NS EUB. The other two basses (most of the time) are a Fodera 4 string and a Roscoe Beck Fender 5.

9. btmend

btmend

Dec 7, 2017
    Thanks - I looked into the TC setup. IT is really more for a single bass input with 3 different EQ settings. It's close, but no cigar.

10. ekajnitram

ekajnitram

Sep 27, 2017
    Denver
    Gearhead17 and Nephilymbass like this.
  11. Not sure if something like this Phil Jones M-300 would really get you there for three basses but seems as if it might cover you for having two instruments ready to go.
    PJB M-300
    m300_control_panel01.
    m300_01.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  12. Pick your favorite A/B/C switcher and hook it up in "reverse." Royal Blood uses the Palmer Triage Amplifier Selector.

13. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    The output of a small mixer into the input of a Kemper into the board. The Kemper can have any number of preset profiles and EQ settings for each bass available at the flip of a switch. (It also has a tuner.) Your monitoring signal comes through either your wedge or your IEMs.

14. btmend

btmend

Dec 7, 2017
    Thanks for the reply.

I am thinking that a simple solution might be to use a Lehle 3at1 SGoS switch and then maybe look into 1 or more foot pedal amp simulators as needed.

15. Tony Levin, playing on the recent King Crimson tour, had an NS EUB (I think it was a 5er, although not 100% sure), a Musicman (Stingray?) 4-string, and his Chapman stick. Not sure what kind of switcher he used, but his amp was a Kemper modelling amp, and he just had presets for each of the 3 instruments, plus some additional tone enhancements during performance, like a bit of bass boost, or just slight overall boost. Nothing earth-shattering, but he and the whole band had great tones. Especially the NS EUB, it sounded fantastic. The least inspiring to me was the Musicman tone. Seemed like he used it on the tunes that needed the least bass presence.

16. Source audio makes a programmable eq with 4 presets. This is pretty much what people use them for. Make a preset for each bass and any tuner pedal will cover muting.
    41357BA4-9F62-4599-9EF3-5152B5D6856A.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  17. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    The biggest challenge is the EQ thing.

I use a multi effects box (Digitech BP355) that allows me to set up to 70 different sounds. You could set up 3 of those settings with specific EQ for each instrument, then it's just a matter of selecting the appropriate setting when you switch basses. It has a volume control that I use to "mute' as I switch basses. Just unplug, grab the next bass, insert plug, hit a foot switch once or twice and volume up. I just put my wireless receiver in line with my effects when I use that, so it would be just like using a cable - but without the trip hazard. I keep the wireless transmitter unit in my pocket rather than on the strap

There's a few things I would change about the Digitech given the chance, but for this task, it would work great. My biggest issue with this unit is that the pedals are too close together and it is difficult to use while playing (ie "stomping" to another setting in the middle of a song). For between song swaps, it's a breeze. I think I paid about $200 for the unit.

18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    I use a Tech 21 Bass Deluxe and an ABY box. The Bass Deluxe has 2 inputs and is capable of programming 6 presets for different tone and eq settings. Two of my basses are passive so I plug them into the ABY box and then from the ABY box to the Bass Deluxe. I plug my active bass into the second input on the Bass Deluxe. Then its just matter of clicking the foot switch on either the ABY box or the Bass Deluxe.

Here is the link:
    TECH 21 - CHARACTER SERIES

VT Bass Deluxe.

19. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    My amp has an optional graphic EQ, that'll take care of the two electrics. Get one of those MXR 7 band EQs and kick it in for the third (on top of whichever is closer). Buy yourself a Line-6, G 10 wireless system ($180) it shuts off it's signal when you unplug the sender from an instrument, no noise at all. The G10 is quieter than a regular cord too.

20. Fodera + Roscoe -> A/B box -> Tuner (mute) -> Amp.
    EUB -> Preamp/DI -> Tuner (mute) -> Amp.
    (amp needs two input sockets).

If your EB's have active preamps/EQ, a simple A/B might sound best.

Dedicated Preamp/DI for EUB allows separate signal to FOH. pre/post-EQ switch & HPF are super handy. Placed on top of amp you can adjust on the fly as needed.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017