1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best shorts for gigging with

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dBChad, Nov 22, 2018.

1. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Asbestos fire suit at the ready, but maybe this can be good humored fun with some tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. Really, I think it's good that I'm considering shorts, because the "strategically placed tube sock" a la RHCP was my first idea.

Which shorts are the best for gigging in? I have some comfy dark grey cargo shorts, some plaid straight legged casual shorts, and several pairs of board shorts that totally aren't pretentious as I actually (try to) surf.

While the overwhelming consensus is that gigging in shorts is a crucifiable offense, it's hot and humid most of the year here. I never felt like Tim Commerford looked or sounded less professional on stage when he shows up in shorts (more often than not), and frankly the message of the songs he plays resonates with me on a much deeper level than anything on the top 40 charts over the last 25 years.

Mr_Moo and EatS1stBassist like this.
  2. blip

blip

Jun 1, 2010
    MPLS, MN
  3. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    ^Hilarious! Man I miss the 90's sometimes

4. wesonbass

wesonbass

Nov 26, 2012
    Graniteville SC
    Bob-Weir-Grateful-Dead-Shorts-Red-Clay-Soul-3(pp_w480_h609).

5. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    VeENYRn_d.

6. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    What about those ones that zip off at the knee.

Lets the crowd know you’re a man of action, ready for anything.

7. IMG_4737.JPG So it was hot. The weather, NOT me. :roflmao:

After a rehearsal this past summer, the lead guitarist/singer mentioned he planned to go to an open mic nearby, just for fun. I asked if he'd mind if I tagged along - we could test a couple new tunes on the crowd, so he said sure. Of course, I wasn't prepared to be seen in public, but still.... Picked up a drummer, who was there, and away we went!

Yup, camo cargo shorts. White athletic socks and sneakers. We rocked the house to much applause. I don't think anyone noticed my T-shirt.

:bassist::bassist:

Mr_Moo, knumbskull, dBChad and 2 others like this.
  8. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    Bahama's.

Mr_Moo and EatS1stBassist like this.
  9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

What are the best shorts for metal? Or should that be a separate thread?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

10. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Well.. from someone who often gigs in shorts (you no like?? :spit: :spit: :roflmao: :roflmao:), I really like hybrid boardshorts. The nicer styled ones that you can wear a belt with. Lightweight and they dry fast if something gets spilled on them. They work great in warm, uncomfortable weather and hot stages.

11. blliB

blliB

Mar 5, 2017
    East
  12. Asbestos, maybe?
    Or horsehair or canvas, preferably soaked in seawater. If that doesn't teach you not to play in shorts, I don't know what will.

Better idea; utilikilt. I swear those things look less ridiculous than shorts.
    My partner keeps trying to get me to wear one, but then she also thinks I'd look good in plus-fours, so take that with a pinch of sea-salt.

bdplaid, knumbskull and McG like this.
  13. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    red-hot-chili-peppers-8-1466002577-view-0.

Mike.C., NathOBX, IamGroot and 5 others like this.
  14. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    This last summer broke me. Hot and humid for weeks. And of course I gained some weight this year. So I broke down, brought a fan to about five weeks worth of gigs and wore shorts on stage for the first time in my life. On days where it was merely awful, got linen pants. Lots of airflow if you know what I mean and I think you do, and the loyal audience doesn't have to look at my legs.

15. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    WWLW? (What would Lemmy wear?)

16. Cargo shorts. Just don’t wear white tube socks with the shorts. Rock on!

17. Cargo shorts of course. You need the pockets for all your stuff like picks, tuner, smokes, lighter, duck tape, beer, extra strings, CDs for sale, pliers, phone. . .

18. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    **** the protocol. Be comfortable. I'm a fat middle aged man and I'm wearing the loosest stuff I can that's legal. T-shirt, cargo shorts for stuff (I don't have Bobby's legs), white tube socks for cushioned support, and casual footwear of choice (often purple crocs). Maybe a hat.

Of course, I don't get paid either. Hmm...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2018
    jackn1202, CRich0205, dBChad and 4 others like this.
  19. Beating+the+dead+horse.

This discussion again.

Be comfortable. Play what you want. Play how you want. Wear what you want. It's your gig.

zoonose, Jlinnell7, Mr_Moo and 7 others like this.
  20. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Keep in mind, this pic is from the 80s. Perfectly acceptable then. :) These days not so much. ;)

What was John thinking?? :laugh:

The California Celts know how to rock kilts. :D

CA Celts.