Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best show off/sweet amazing pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AcousticBass, Jun 2, 2005.

1. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    Hey besides synth wah and distortion, what else is good for if you want sweet sounds like that like cool odd sounds?

2. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    delay, flanger, phaser, I personally don't love chorus

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    envelope filter, fuzz...

also, try different combinations of effects

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    There is no sound more 'odd' than that produced by a Ring Modulator. Although, I assume it would be useless in a band situation.

Graeme

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The "SWEEP" effect on my BP-200.

That thing just makes me go ***?!

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It'll turn any instrument into R2D2.

7. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    man i checked thing out, its crazy, but the best version of it is like $400 or $500 dollars, heh paying that for a pedal that doesnt come into to much use is a rip off.

8. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    crowther audio prunes and custard

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    a nice warm but "loud" flange for those lead-ins to the chorus or intro solos

or a 12-stage phaser for those mellow songs for a similar effect.

and fuzzing up a wah is great imo!

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    What does that thing do? Thanks.

11. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    its kinda like a synthy overdrivey distortiony thing. i want one!

check out the catalinbread teaser stallion, i should be getting one pretty soon.

deep impact also 10/10.

and for those of you who have never heard of it, try the ibanez PM7 phase modulator.. i dunno if anyone has seen that pretty ordinary movie 'solaris' but the sounds remind me a lot of that kinda sci-fi ambient background. very pulsy. i was pleasantly surprised.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah, what the hell? I think Ring Mods are cool... but they are expensive/useless really. :(

13. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Not useful in a melodic manner, maybe. Rip Off? Really? Kinda harsh assessment of one of the basic building blocks of analog synthesis, IMO.

14. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    i regret saying what i did about the ring modulator, they seem sooo sweet, but why wouldnt it be good in a band? o ya, i listened to the samples, is it a pedal that every note is the same?

15. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Well, I guess it depends on your band, how far you crank the MIX control, and what other pedals are in the signal chain (and where). A ring modulator takes your signal and mixes it with an internal signal, and you hear the sum and the difference signals. Those two signals are not constant in separation like a harmonizer, and they tend to sound "noisy". I don't know about you, but I love me some noises.

What those new frequencies can do is drive your filter pedal to new heights of ectasy, make your distortion more grindy, and in general add some character to your signal chain. Of course, in 100% mix mode it is going to sound like a broken refrigerator or something, but that has its place too.

If you want to hear the king of ring mods:
    http://www.moogmusic.com/detail.php?main_product_id=6

The MoogerFooger ring mod is the real deal. The sound samples are right there on the product page by the photo.

16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes, and important in analog math computing too - but that's the problem; musical frequencies are based on multiplication/division, and a ringer does addition/subtraction! ..Not very musical.

Joe

17. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    so would you say the ring modular is worth buying?

18. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i would buy the frostwave blue ringer if i had the chance

19. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I have owned 2, and curently own 1... Its one of my signature effects, as well now I have added about 10 ring mod patches to my Magicstomp. ANYONE who says ring modulation is unmusical has never really used it, and should really check out what it can do for the bass...

That is all...

Alex

p.s. Its great in a band situation, even better in a solo context.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Is there a Ring Mod under 100 bucks?