1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best single cab for college.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IronMaiden, Apr 24, 2010.

1. So I'm going to college after this summer and my rig is too heavy and big to take with. I'm thinking of getting a lighter power amp and a smaller rack. Now I need a good single cab option. Weight and size aren't that big of a deal but I need to be able to lift it and fit it in a dorm. I play jazz, hip hop, r&b, metal, prog, rock, funk, and jazz fusion(so pretty much anything). I like hi-fi sound production but use a tone that is a hybrid of new and old school. Deep pillowy bottom, subdued highs, not grindy, and a little burp.

I was thinking about going with an Acme B-2 or a LDS 15/6/1. Do the LDS's and/or Acmes go as low as my SWR Big Ben? Lower? Which would have less beaming and phasing problems? Do they both sound flat?

2. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Hard to beat a fEarful 15/6 [with the 6nd410 mid driver] for size, weight, and output [lots of lows & mids]... doesn't sound like you need a horn.

3. It doesn't but wouldn't the tweeter make it more naturally flat? Either way I plan on buying a jazz later on for slapping.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I had a Boogie Diesel 215 in my college dorm! :p

If I had to do it over again I'd have a pair of GS112s for sure.

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I'd suggest something used and inexpensive that you can get by with.
    A cab that if it "walked off" out of your dorm room it won't break your heart or your bank account.
    I lost a nice bass, and mics, but they left my old beat-up amp!

6. I'm not worried about stealing. I live in a less criminalized state and they would have to get through 2 locked doors. Not saying it couldn't happen but I think the tone befit is worth the risk.

Anyway, what would be the difference in tone between the 6ND410, Alphalite6A, and Alpha6A?

Would just using the mid driver for the tweeter frequencies make them sound less harsh?

7. CAW

CAW

Apr 18, 2010
    Is this just going to be for practice in the dorm? Or something you want to play out with?

8. For both practicing and gigging. I'll probably be playing a lot of jazz gigs and if possible I want to join/create a prog. metalcore band(maybe with a 2-3 person horn section).

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    You either need something semi-disposable, or something so big no one will swipe it. I took my dual showman (215) to college in '68. In '69 I sold the Fender, and got a Marshall 200 watt full stack (2x412). They lived at the head of my bed when I was not gigging. We were not in earthquake country. :D

10. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    How about The Ampeg micro with (2)210 cabs, these are small enough to put on a shelf. Or The Ampeg B2re (or head of your choice) with (2)15" seperate cabs. Also the pocket rocket with headphones to play during study time. :cool:

11. Ampeg SVT15E is worth a listen. It's not glamorous, but it's relatively light, easy to carry, reasonable size, and sounds good too. There's no horn, but it will do a surprising amount of high end if you eq it in. It's pretty easy to subdue the top end, it'll give you lots of bottom. It might be a little on the light end in terms of power handling, but the obvious solution is to get a second one if you're doing loud gigs.

12. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    A capable combo that's an easy schlep is worth its weight in gold for a college bassist. Of all the rigs I've played, the one I wish I'd had as an undergrad is my Mesa Walkabout 12.

13. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    among other things, while in college I had a peavey 2x15, briefly an 1820, and briefly a 1516. All were ridiculous in a dorm setting.

If the mesa walkabout 12 is within your price range, it'd be great for for a dorm setup that can gig etc.

I'm not a combo guy, but there's much to be said for one for college ( in hindsight.)

14. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    subscribed.

15. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Low weight with smooth punchy high output recommends the 6nd410... the two 6a's differ in price and HF output, I wouldn't consider the lite version without a horn that can roll down to the 2.5k range which would require some re-designing of the upper range HP into a true LP/HP xover between the mid and the horn. Better to just use the 6nd410 in my view.

Not versus using a horn that isn't harsh. To get good sounding tweets, buy a good tweeter. I am using BMS 4540ND, much smoother than the Eminence or Selenium options listed in the fEarful wiki. If you are gonna slap you might want one, but you can get a lot out more of that 18sound mid driver than you might think - it is an amazing speaker.

Bottom line you get impressive articulation in a very loud low eight package with a fearful 15/6... add the premium mid [6nd410] and it just gets better. Bi-amp it and you can save weight + $ on the xover and it gets even better still.

I suggest you skip the expensive horn - add it later if you decide you need it. There is a reasonably good chance you won't - I have one in my 1515/66 but not in my 15/6 - I like it, but don't miss it a whole lot when using the smaller cab.

16. A word to the wise - college dormitories are theft carnivals. You're probably right to not worry about your speaker cabinets so much, but (IMO) it's foolish to think about those two locked doors as protecting your stuff. Door locks are little to no benefit - they'll help themselves while you're in the shower (door unlocked) or when your roommate leaves the door unlocked, or when you stepped out for a second (door unlocked), or it will be your roommate (with a key).

Get insurance for your equipment. College dormitories are theft carnivals.

17. So what would you guys recommend for combos for me then? Because to be honest I like 15s but I hate having to work with 15+tweeter setup. The school's bass amp is a Bassman 250 and I have a Rumble 100 and I just can't seem to get what I want out of them. Maybe it's just the amps and not the 15+tweeter setup but I don't know. Any suggestions?

Since we are talking combos now, weight and size aren't really issues.

18. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Hate to say it, but +1.

Dorms suck.

19. A Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 docked on a single T12 speaker will do everything you need! It's very compact, weighs only 36 pounds, and puts out 375 W. I like 15s as well, but you will flat be amazed by the G-B T12.

Not kidding, this little powerhouse is absolutely perfect for your situation. Not cheap, but perfect.

And ABSOLUTELY get insurance on your belongings.

20. Carvin BRX10.2 neo cab. Compact, not too heavy, sounds very solid and punchy with decent low end.

Carvin BX500 head if you need one. The BRX cab is a 4 ohm cab so you can run 500 watts rms thru the cab with the BX500 head at 4 ohms. It's a pretty impressive little setup.

I use it when I don't feel like carrying lots of gear.