Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best single cab for me to get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jun 10, 2005.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    OK, I've decided I want to dump my two Aguilar GS 112s to and get only one cab that I can use in almost any situation bridged mono with my Eden 800. For this I need a single 8 ohm cab.

The natural inclination was to get an 8 ohm Schroeder 1212. There I seem to have my basses covered. My band is not terribly loud but we do rock out sometimes and I like to be heard. Plus I want this rig to last me a while and I don't want to have to keep getting more powerful gear.

I would probably have gone with the Schroeder 1210 if an 8 ohm one existed but alas I need an 8 ohm cab. The 1210 seems to be the choice of TBers but the 1212 was also rated quite favorably it seems. My band sometimes plays shows sans drummer (just guitar...usually acoustic, vocals, bass) and I am worried that the 1212 might be too loud or specifically too boomy at these drummerless shows. Thoughts on this?

Would I be better off with two 4 ohm mini 12s? (a significantly more expensive option) and running in stereo? I kind of like the idea of only lugging one cab around.

I used to be more of a slap guy but now I play almost all fingerstyle with this band and I tend to turn my highs down and my lows and mids up. I hate boomy bass but I like to cut through. Punch is good, but not if it sounds thin. I like the tone of the old school 60s and 70s bass players where the bass definitely cut through the mix but does not sound twangy or growly or bright. I really hate modern nu-metal bass tone. Old school beef is where it's at.

Of course...it doesn't have to be a Schroeder. I'm just trying to score cool points with all ya'll. Haha..no really, I've been emailing a bit with Jorg and he has been quite helpful, plus I've been reading up on these things and I've had some guys here locally recommend them too. Seems like the most powerful, portable rig out there. I could get an Eden 410 but 410s don't fit in the trunk of my Corolla. Tone and versatility are my primary concerns but portability is definitely up there too.

Any help, thoughts, etc appreciated... I really want to make the right decision this time since I've gone through probably 4 or 5 bass rigs in the past year...haha.....

Peace,
    -T-Bos
    :bassist:

2. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Sell all your basses and get a '64 Jazz is my advice for getting the sound you want :)

3. You could probaly get an 8 ohm 1210 if you asked nicely!

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    If you want the old school vibe. 1212 is where it's at.

5. The Accugroove El Whappo is the best single cab I have ever heard....VERY deep and punchy but clear and articulate as well....very flat with the ability to reproduce any sound you can think of when EQ'd the way you want....Give it a listen and your quest will probably be over!! For what its worth, the TRI210 and the El Whappo, Jr. are both also excellent cabs and may give you what you seek!!

Peace,

T

6. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hmm...forgot to mention I don't have $1200 to spend on a cab :(

The more I read about the Schroeder 1212 the more it sounds like it would work. I just don't want to be stuck with something that it basically a subwoofer.

But looking at Jorg's website, several of the player endorsements mention that they only use a 1212

7. I finally got to try out my new El Whappo at Chicago's Navy Pier gig yesterday. I was pretty darn impressed. It was the best most articulate and solid sound I've had on an outside gig. The stage was a bit crowed yesterday and I didn't really get a chance to get very far away from the cab like I wanted to for testing the throw etc. My band has been commenting positive things since I've been using the El Whappo. They say they can hear every note and so can I. I'm pulling off cool little licks I couldn't hear well before. I must admit while playing alone it sounds great but doesn't blow me away, but when the MIX starts...the tones just jump perfectly were they belong. The band says my sound is articulate, great solid lows, punchy, smooth highs and I'm not too loud. Great package so far. I've used it with my WWU in a couple clubs with mostly the same results. The outside venue I used the Demeter 201s and Crest CA9... never turned past halfway, but I had a great PA support too. This cab is expensive, but I'm old and had the cash. For a single cab solution this is a very good choice. After all the excellent gear I've tried and gone through, I would not make a statement that this cab or any other is the one "total" solution, but this one comes mighty close so far.

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Why not a GS212? I'm taking mine to its first rehersal tonight, and if it performs as well as the specs say ... its going to go down as an ultimate single cab in my book. Its such an easier carry than the GS410 and "on paper" puts out just as much sound.

Its also quite a bit smaller than a 410.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't think you can go wrong with a Schroeder 1210 or 1212.

10. larryl

larryl

Feb 1, 2005
    North Jersey
    I've found the Aguilar GS212 and DB750 with my Sadowsky vintage 5 to be everything I need for rock and blues.I mention the whole rig because i've never played the cab through anything else so Its hard to make a comparison

11. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Bigstring, how would you compare the HT/EX Berg set-up with the El Whappo. Is the El Whappo in a different league, or just something else...thanks :bassist:

12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    waiting on Bigstring..........

meanwhile, dosen't just about everybody who's happy with thier gear wanna pimp thier own stuff? I'll break the tide. Don't consider Bergantino. Stay away at all costs. Actually, run as fast as you can.

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    ;)

14. apples and water melons.
    Both fantastic rigs. Bergs are very portable, punchy, clear, and loud. EW is pretty portable, huge sounding, more clear. Buy both, you'll be happy. :)

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I have a few favorites myself but.......................

This is an ice cream thread.

Imagine standing in line at an ice cream shop and not being able to decide what to get. So you start calling all your friends to ask them what flavor to get. Sure, a bunch of them will tell you their favorites. But how do they know what you like?????

;)

16. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hi Tim,

For the price and sheer awesomeness factor, i would go for the schroeder 1210. It has punch and depth. I have a mini 12+, but if you want one cab that does it all I would go 1212 or 1210. Two minis would be great, but while they are light, they are not that "mini" at 16x16x16. The 1212 is 16x16x23. Not a huge difference, but reportedly much louder.

:cool:

17. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    I think you'll be very happy with EA.

I have a Cxl 112 and that's all I need to :bassist:

Pedro