1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best single cab for Motown tones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by air_leech, Mar 7, 2008.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I want a cab that can do the Motown thing i.e. round, fat and full thumping.

problem is there isnt much variety here so here's my options (used+new):

-Trace 1583 (pre-gibson version with the two ports)
    -Eden D112XLT (yea, not a 15" but should get lower than most)
    -Markbass STD 151 HR
    -Markbass Traveler 151P
    -Ashdown MAG 115 Deep Cabinet

if you own one or played it before and can share the exprience I would love to listen as some of these I could only play if I order and I'd prefer to focus on going out to play the one or two that'll get me closest to that classic R&B tone.

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I vote for the trace. That'll do Motown all day with some nice punch to boot. Better run (not walk) to the store to get that one.

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Trace 1583 without a doubt. It is a great cab. However, the head, bass, and fingers have a lot to do with the Motown sound as well.

4. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    +1. An a very liberal dose of a 62' P tone knob as well.

5. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Bag S15-D. Plug a P-bass with flats into a tube head and into an S15-D and you are more than there. It's the B-15 tone, but louder. It can also do a bit brighter tone if needed.

6. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    The one thing I'll say is to avoid the Eden D112XLT for this application. When you say it should get lower than most, I think you're probably going by the published specs that say it goes to 32 hz. I haven't seen a true frequency response chart for this cab, but have owned 4 of them. They are *not* deep, thumping cabs. Manufacturer's specs seem to be very liberal ... one often wonders if the marketing team are the ones who actually come up with the specs.

They are biting, aggressive, midrange cabs. If they fit the sound you like, they're fine cabs, and I played a lot of gigs with them ... but they're nothing like the "round, fat and full thumping" you describe.

Cheers

7. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    May I suggest-
    Ampeg.

The SVT-15E is a compact, well-priced, and superbly voiced cab IMO/IME, including regular R&B gigs.
    Especially with an all-tube head (V4BH), you are going to be transported back into "Hitsville USA" studios in Detroit.

...Oh, and using a P-Bass won't hurt things either!:D

8. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    I'm finding dialing up the Markbass VLE to about 2 o'clock puts me in a very funky mood!

9. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    +1 on the ampeg 115E. i used to own them. worked great.

great cab. good stand alone for most gigs. afordable, not that heavy in weight, vintage look, and most important: no tweeter. great for blues or motown. i wouldn't put too much juice into one, but small gig stage volume is fine.

also use a p or j with flats, or if with rounds turn the tone knob to about half. although i hate high action, sometimes raising the action helps too. some people use a foam mute.

for older stuff, it is tricky, but the idea is to remove highs without removing definition, and adding lows without making them too tight. when testing cabs/heads/basses, play something like "sugar pie honey bun", or "ramble on", "sunshine of your love", and you will know real quick if your tone is sounding too hi-fi/modern in both the high and low registers.

10. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    +1000

11. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I'm going to go off the board and suggest that you look for either a used double baffled B-15 cab or buy a new one from Bruce at Fliptops.net. It's the 15 cab Jamerson actually used. I've got one loaded with an Eminence Delta 15A, and it's by far my favorite 15 cab of all time. Lots of high end presence while having a very heavy bottom end. Plus how can you beat the blue checker styling?

12. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    My band plays soul/Motown/r&b and I'm currently using an /66 p bass w/ flats, Ampeg V4b thru matching 70's 1x15 from Fliptop. OTOH, my B15s does a darn good Motown thing.

13. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    oddly enough, i was struck by the oldschool tone of a PJB Neo cab. either the 6B or 8B should do it. paired with one of his heads, it seriously reminds me of a B15!

14. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Perhaps not so weird. Bob Babbitt swears by PJ although I personally didn't care for the ones I've tried.

15. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    man... i'm seriously tempted by the Neos! play one!
    i was skeptical, honestly, because i was afraid the little 5 inchers would pack too much high end, ala Hartke.
    nope! nothing but warm, round, oldschool thump! amazing! and light!!:hyper::hyper:

16. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    If they sound good to you go for it. As I said Babbitt loves them. The ones I've tried seemed rather bland without much power and very expensive. To my ears at least (and as best as I recall) they didn't sound much like my B15.

17. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    In fact Trevor there used to be a nice youtube clip of Babbitt talking about the PJ gear. Not sure if its still there but you could look for it.

18. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    thanks for the replies.

Ampegs are rare here and no one brings Bag End to Israel so I'll probably go for the used Trace if it's still availialbe.
    I can order the Ampeg cab though but it will most definitly be of the new Vietnamese (Nam'peg? MIV?) variety.
    anyone tried these?

btw,
    what are the differences between the SVT15E and the B115E?

19. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    I use a Trace 1153 and it's great for R n B stuff.

20. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    i love my d112xlt,but two are better, you can do a motown thing,but ,i have a question , the true motowm was started by ampeg b-15,and later fender (the big boy) but why not get the ampeg b-15r? great amp,the you can see it on david letterman show,you cant get much more motown than that,but , if you want an eden ,for the motoen get a d215xlt,another fine cabinet, good luck, hope you get something