1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Single Space Rack Tube Pre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j-raj, Apr 24, 2006.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Any Suggestions?:D

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Trace V-type?

;)

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    lol,

this'll be interesting. but what kind of tubeyness are you after?

thick and syrupy? kern, alembic
    hifi and glossy? demeter, read
    hefty and burly? aguilar 659

and does this mean orange'll be entering the "single space tube pre" market? :p

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

How does the Ampeg SVP-Pro rate? I recently picked of of these up but have yet to use it as I'm waiting for Mr Fed Ex driver to deliver my new amp (Stewart World 1.6).

5. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    ha ha... very funny... already got one. :smug:

Kinda into Burly and Glossy Syrup...:D

Seriously, I really liked the True Voice + Focus when I was at Brian's place, the rack spaced one is a tad pricey for me... The Alembic is great, it's a little close to the V-type (and I repeat 'a little'), which I currently own and love (and keeping:D )... As for the Demeter, I really wasn't into "hifi-ness", when I checked it out. Maybe I should have had my bass to hear it with.

I need something that can get and nail:

Motown (I use a felt pad plenty of the time with my Fender Jazz)
    Blues
    Jazz (Straight-Ahead, R&Bish Smooth Jazz and Modern)
    Classic Rock

Warm and Wooly, Organic, tubey Gooey-ness, Focused... but MOST Importantly Versatile! HiFi isn't really my bag and I have tried plenty of non-tube pres that I wasn't pleased about: AMP SL-1, Peavey MAX, SansAmp RBI, BBE BMAX...etc.

no, but I wish... Man, how cool would that be?

6. SVP-Pros are meant to be good, but SVP-CL's are meant to be better (I would find them better anyway, but i prefer the vintage ampeg tone over the modern)

Have read a few instances of SVP-pros being hissy, but this is often from the stock tube IIRC

- Will

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 I gotta go with Joker, here, though I will point out that the Kern can also do "hi-fi" and "glossy" with the right tubes. I am a big fan of the Kern, and it's perhaps the top of my list right now for a 1U tube preamp (though the others mentioned are also very nice).

And I have to give a 'sleeper' award to the Fender TBP-1. It takes some dialing in, but once you get comfortable with it, it is a very nice sounding, very versatile preamp.

Tom.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Jai, with some tube trials I'd bet that you'd love the Aguilar DB659. It'll do everything that you're looking for.

If you're open to a non racked suggestion, I recently got to try a SIB Fatdrive and I'm in love. I've got a GK 1001RBII that I just picked up and when I have the money I'm going to run a Fatdrive through it. Big, giant, warm, tubey goodness with clarity.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm...

no love the 680? seems to both of that.

oh yes...

course, "fattier than a rumproast" is what i'm going for w/ my Kern, which keeps it tops for my needs. ;)

oh crap!

love the fatdrive. just amazing into a mixing desk, too. :cool:

10. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    SVP-Pro is a great sounding, very versitile preamp. I always come back to it.

Its not as hi-fi as any of the ohters, but its got a big, solid core of tone.

11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I own three... the Read Purity, a Kern, and the Low End True Voice (although granted, the TV is the desktop version). The TV is my favorite, largely because I prefer to do all my EQ'ing on my bass and leave the amp alone. Plus, it is a nicely accented midrange without having too much of a 'hump', and lots of that tube sound.

The Read is easily the most hi-fi of the three while still sounding like a tube amp. The Kern can do the hi-fi thing with a good bit of EQ'ing, but it's definitely a fat, chewy, tubey, fat, fat, fat sound. If there was one thing I wish I could add to the Kern, it would be an EQ bypass switch like the one on the Read for those times when I don't feel like fiddling with amp knobs. But I love the passive tone controls on the Kern.

Basically, you can't go wrong with any of these three.

12. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    SVP ...

13. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    i like my read custom bass purity very much.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    doood,

HM, you've been totally holding out on us!

15. Denyle Guitars

Denyle Guitars

Nov 30, 2005
    MD
    One more vote for the Kern.

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    My current rig is an F2B front ending a GK1001 RB II. It is a very cool setup indeed. Just ordered a 'gucci' grey plate tube for one side. Lord Valve seems to think they are the cat's @ss of bass pre-amp tubes at the moment. I have a JJ Ecc83s and a NOS Jan AX7 in at the moment. Also ordered some TungSol 12AX7's and a new NOS Jan for a Fender Pro Reverb guitar amp so it's tube swapping time in a few days ...

The GK *hosts* the Alembic very nicely. Into the effects return it A/B's favorably with one side of a Crown CE-1000. Into the Instrument in, with the pad engaged the GK's pre adds a bit of color. Not much but it's there. of course that also brings DI, contour, presence, the 4 band eq and boost along so I'm living with the color. It's a realy cool setup that I wish went to 2 ohms ... GK missed the boat on that ...

17. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    isn't that a 2 space unit?

... sounds like Hollowman has some pre's that I would like to try! :bassist:

18. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Haha, I have amassed a bit of a collection, haven't I?

I purchased all three preamps over the last year or so used here at TB. I know I like tubes (I built a tube amp in college), so with that criteria in mind, I just bought all sorts of stuff that I knew I'd never be able to try. I figured that when I figured out which one I preferred, I'd sell the others. So far I haven't had the heart to sell any of them!

J-raj, if you're interested in one of these, shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out. I love my rig right now (any of these preamps + Schroeders), but I've never heard anything like the Berg IP112/EX112 combo, and if I can figure out a way to swallow the cost, I'd probably sell all my preamps and just use one of Jim Bergantino's line drivers. Let me know if you want to talk about any of these!

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Now you're talking!!!!:D

20. ampeg svp-cl