1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best SIX string bass under $1500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Godswarrior31, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Godswarrior31

Godswarrior31

Nov 22, 2016
    Ventura CA
    All right, all right, no such thing as "best" we all know that - it's in the eye of the beholder. But since 6-strings are not nearly so common as 4's and 5's, and I'm looking to get my feet wet but not spend a fortune, I'm hoping people will share what they like in the $800 - $1500 range?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    If one pops up, a Bongo is a pretty formidable bass in that range. Tons of great options in that price range, though.

3. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward!

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    Tons of deals on used sixes.

What do you play? String spacing/hand size?

High end Ibanez are great and come in two flavors.

Carvins... customs... tell us more!

Helix likes this.
  4. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    Mississippi
    Whew, so much to choose from at that price! You can even get a new Carvin!

DocShocker likes this.
  5. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    I don't like them.. but for new probably ibazez for widely available and returnable.
    I have also been looking at the Hatsun tunes. Those look pretty sweet.

Then search used. A bongo could be great, but I have not seen many used.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  6. Godswarrior31

Godswarrior31

Nov 22, 2016
    Ventura CA
    I play primarily praise and worship...but that varies from gospel to Hillsong kinda stuff...I prefer a wider (e.g., 5 string) string spacing. I'm a smaller guy and although my current bass is 35 I'm not sure if I want to stick with that.

I will be USING it though for ambient swell stuff, similar to what P&W guitarists do: my need for the higher string is to have an additional high octave with easy access. I will not be doing too much in the Jazz department.

I noticed some nice looking Ibanez basses, sr1406TE etc. caught my attention.

Also...what's a Bongo??

7. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    A bongo is a Music man.

if you are currently playing with a group and you don't have a lot of experience with 6s. It might be nice to buy new from a GC or someplace that has a return policy. Play it in the context of the group see what work and doesn't and return and replace as desired.

Bongo is a great piece, but I have not seen many 6s used in that sub 1k target.

8. Tough to beat the options and quality of a used Peavey Cirrus.

9. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward!

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    (Bongo's are funny looking mutant Music Man basses- they sound HUGE)

Based upon those specs- esp 19mm - I'd say Ibanez BTB is a great choice. If your willing accept tighter spacing you can find great deals on those sexy SR basses.

Ask yourself if you want to slap on this bass. I've accepted that my six is not a slap ax and now enjoy the 16.5mm spacing.

HUGE vote for Peavey Cirrus- an awesome and game changing bass (great for funk/jazz/worship)

10. DocShocker

DocShocker

Jan 31, 2015
    Michigan
    I would nominate MTD kingston. The Z series come in 6 string configuration, and (correct me if I'm wrong) has a 18-19mm spacing. But that might put you at the upper limit of your budget.

Obese Chess and Brother Goose like this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Look for used basses and the best options in my opinion are:

Narrow Spacing- High end Ibanez and Peavey Cirrus

Wide Spacing - MTD, Yamaha TRB, Ibanez BTB.

songwriter21 likes this.
  12. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    In my opinion, spending $800-1500 just "to get your feet wet" is a bit silly. For $350, you can buy a used Ibanez SR506BM and it will more than do the job. Excellent build quality, easily attainable intonation and action, and sounds pretty great too. Active 3-band EQ standard, with Bartolini pickups stock. No real reason to spend any more than that just to see if you like a 6er or not. I'm not in any way knocking people who spend more on a bass, but if you're not sure you'll even feel comfortable on a 6-string, I'd recommend going inexpensive. And when you're ready to step up, that Ibanez will still be worth $350.

Good luck!

Garret Graves likes this.
  13. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Totally agree with this. When I review my 6 string basses in my mind I have to admit that my Modulus is my favorite, but hey, it was 2 grand used so it's out of the ball park. Same for my Alembic Epic. So then what. I must admit that after those my two favorite 6er basses is my SR506 and my SX 6 string Fender clone. The SR506 is a killer bass. It has it's own kind of tone which isn't for everything but I'd never part with mine. And of course an SX Fender clone 6 string is a totally different old school animal taking considerable modifications to bring it up level, but still a fraction of your budget. The only key is being able to handle the upgrades. For more cash you may be able to find a used Fender Steve Bailey 6 around but they are discontinued and rather rare.

Another option is a ESP LTD B206SM which is a good solid traditional active 6 string. Kind of heavy, but an excellent -get your feet wet- 6er. Available new for half your budget. Not going to replace a Modulus as a go-to bass but still a decent bass. I also recommend going less expensive until you really know what 6 strings can do for you and that you really want that. At that point you will have some experience to better know what 6 string is "best" (for you).

HamOnTheCob and bassstrangler like this.
  14. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
  15. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

Oct 18, 2008
    Connecticut
    Used Peavey Cirrus.

Oh man, I regret selling it so hard.

Sav'nBass and bass_lord_mutha like this.
  16. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I would go overseas and get a 6 string from Japan. From a legit dealer of course. The Bacchus 6 string I bought overseas was so much bass for the money that I was blown away. I spent $1,500 even. If I stayed stateside I'd probably go with the Peavey Cirrus.

You don't want to skimp on a 6 string. Great preamps, pickups, and everything else is really a must for this kind of extended range.

Obese Chess likes this.
  17. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    songwriter21 and NigelD like this.
  18. I stared on a Peavey Cirrus 17 years ago, still play a couple today. highly underrated and a sixer can be found used from $800-1100 easy. Used to have a custom shop Redwood fretless Cirrus. Selling it was my deepest regret.

19. I still have a few of mine, too. I miss my unlined fretless 5, which was a custom and would have kept if it just had one more string.

bass_lord_mutha likes this.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Looking EBay, I the prices have gotten higher lately.

bass_lord_mutha likes this.