best six string for the $

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by teenagebass69, Jan 21, 2004.

1. im looking to get a six string because I want the low B up top and i want the high C to solo but whats the best bass i can get for my money. try to keep it under a thousand dollars and feel free to show off ur sixer.
  2. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    a brice HXB 6 will do for a low price
    you can wait till mid february for the 35" Neck Through model as well..

Further a GT-6 may do your thing.
    A yamaha TRB6 also is worth mention.
    And there is a big chance you will find a peavey cirrus used for the money which will probably be your best shot IMO.
  3. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    I am selling a brand new Tobias toby 6 string natural for 500.00

4. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
  5. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    That is an awful good deal. Dhuff. It depends on what type of string spacing you like and neck through/bolt on. What are your preferences in these areas? And what kind of sound are you looking for?
  6. i like the smooth jazz tone...just true sound..pure...i have an swr amp so that helps
  7. Surprising no one has said a used Cirrus. Which are usually quite easy to find under 1000$
    I dont know if you want to go used though.
  8. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    I got mine on xmas, and I still can't put it down:D
  9. I have to say, that thing looks alot better in your photo than on Rondos site. Cool stuff man. :)
  10. Good basses for fair price ? sounds like Ibanez to me :D

Here's what you should get :

the BTB 406QuiltedMaple.

Best bang for the buck(tm)
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. If your budget goes up to $900, wait for a used Cirrus 6 to show up on Ebay, or TB Classifieds. It blows away anything else mentioned.
  12. The HXB's are great.
    And when the 35" wide spacing arrives there is no excuse not to get one or the other!

mmm...wonder if those MIK tobias's are made in the same factory as Brice ;-)

13. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    w00t! Cirrus! Yes!
  14. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I found a nice Ibanez SR506 in a local music store for only... $600 Canadian! It looks brand new, plays veeeeeery nicely, and sounds really good for a Soundgear! Hopefully I'll try it out again soon...:bassist:

And I never thought I'd say it, but IMO the 506 feels and plays better than a $5400 Ken Smith 6er they had in the store! :eek:
  15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Cort Curbow 6 with the Bart MKs is certainly worth considering. I dig mine.

16. i'm surprised no one mentioned a carvin sixer, those are great to play and come pretty cheap for their options... check out the P-series upgrade, piezo's and all. i'm a bit short on cash right now... but if i wasnt it would either be this or a Sukop.

also check out he has one of the best selections and info i've come across

let me know what you think... any opinions from someone who tried or owns a carvin?:bassist:
  17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I agree about the Carvins. I played them for years and think they're a great value. Especially used.

Ed Roman, OTOH, is not someone I'd rely on, judging just from what he says on his site. He's occasionally amusing, but he's not nearly as knowledgeable as he thinks he is, and much of what he "knows" is wrong IMO. (But as the saying goes, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.) I've never had business dealings with him, but I've heard many unfavorable reports from those who have. YMMV, and caveat emptor.
  18. yeah richard ed roman seems to "know everything" hehe but there's still some good basses listed on his site..

the good thing about carvin is their direct shipping thingy, no shops involved (less money itching fingers). but what do you think about the sound? i tried a few and was quite impressed. i was also happy about the fact that all their models are available in lefty for no extra cost...
  19. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Well I DID mention cirrus but was too lazy to put images of the rest :D