Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Six stringer for $700 ($750 max)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stu hamm rules!, Jun 5, 2002.

1. I am gonna have about £500 ($700, i could stretch to $750) to spend on a new bass, and i want a six stringer, what do you recommend?

(I like playing metal but i would also like the flewibility to play other styles)

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The new instruments you have in that price range would be the the Korean Spectors, Cort Curbow, Dean, Ibanez SR and BTB406, none of which I have that much experience with... perhaps some other basses I've forgotten. Washburn?

Based on their reputation on this BB, the Ibanez BTB406 seems like a good deal. I don't know exactly how much they are in the UK, though.

3. I was looking at the dean edge Q6, it says q is quilted, what does this mean?

also, i am looking at either the spector ns2000 q6, the ibanez btb406 qm, the ibanez sr406 or the Dean edge q6. What do you think of them?

4. I play a Dean Edge Q6 which I'm really quite happy with. Narrow string spacing so perhaps not best suited to slap style, but the neck profile is really playable. The stock EMG-HZ pickups are OK as is the 2 band-eq. Nothing special but does a relatively good job. Quite a modern sound to it.

For that price range there isn't too much choice of sixes in the UK. Shipping over from the US costs ($150 from Bass Northwest) and then you've got tax... :( Doesn't really offset the cost-saving. You could march along to The Gallery and see if they have any second hand bargains, or try The Bass Centre in Wapping. I got my Dean Q6 for £500 a year ago, which is a rip-off by US standards, but about the cheapest 6 I could find round here! Aim for a lower price than that and phone round a few places...

5. thanks, i didn't realise that they would be so hard to find. Aren't there european manufacturers? czech rep. manufactures spector i think.

6. The "Q" means that yes, there is a really thin layer of quilt maple over the basswood body. Not enough maple to add tone, just for looks. However when looking at Dean basses look out for the ones with four knobs and a battery compartment on the back. These have the active EQ which adds a little extra to the sound.

I tried an Ibanez SR406 and wasn't as impressed with the sound from it. The neck on the Dean was a bit nicer to play as well. I've had no experience on the BTB's or the Spectors. The Spectors look like they are from more or less the same factory (in Korea) as the Deans, so perhaps they will be quite similar.

7. i tried a search for 6 stringers in england and there was one cort and about 10 warwicks, from the name i guess maybe they are made nearby? are these any good? they seemed a bit out of my price range though they weren't all priced

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Warwick is a German brand: www.warwick.de I think even the cheapest are out of your price range, at least new.

9. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The Yamaha TRB6 is a good six-string bass that's not too expensive. They go for about £800 new, but used ones turn up for about £500 to £600.

[​IMG]

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If you can live with the WIDE neck of the TRB6, it's a better instrument than all the aforementioned, IMHO (according to my limited experience of the other basses, anyway). Not everyone can cope with its dimensions, though, definitely try before buy.

11. where are good places to look for second hand instruements? my local music stores are quite limited, do you know anywhere good in london?

12. Just out of interest, have any UK TB-ers tried buying from other EU countries? Are there savings to be made? What are the usual shipping costs, and do you still get hammered with customs tax? For example Music Produktiv have Dean Edge Q6 in amberburst for 709 Euro or Ibanez BTB406QTM for 698 Euro which puts these within budget...

13. thanks for the suggestion, on the site it says you only pay german VAT and shipping, though it doesn't know how much that is. I would appreciate information on this as well.

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I think shipping a bass in the EU via UPS et al. usually go for around... £70?

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    A used Peavey TL-6.

16. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I agree with Oysterman, the TRB6's neck is rather, um... BIG. That may or may not be your thing, but a 6-string is NOT something you want to buy sight unseen!

I have an Ibanez SR506, which was about $800 Cdn. (sorry, don't know the exchange rate to pounds, but $1 Cdn = $0.65 US). It's a pretty well-made bass with a tolerable neck width and good playability, but it's heavy and the stock pickups (Mighty Mites) are barely worthy as fridge magnets. I talked to some guy who said that if you upgrade the pickups, it sounds amazing.

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Dean Edge 6 should be at or near the top of your shopping list. It is a very good bass for the money. I have a five and I've played some sixes in the store, and they play and sound really sweet.
    Personally I think that the non-active EQ versions sound better, I've compared both. However, I don't like active EQ in general so take my advice with a grain of salt. If you like active, be very attentive, the new Edge models are active whereas a NOS version may not be. I think the Edge Q models all have active EQ. I think the "Q" models are beautiful. Since you're in Europe you may be able to get a Czech Dean model for a reasonable price.

18. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I saw a conklin GT-7 going for $700 once... Conklin GT basses are very very nice and can be had for a decent price. I don't know if they make a GT-6 though....

19. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    I owned a Dean 6 fretless for a little while. It sounded great and played very well. I sold it on ebay for $400 dollars. I strongly suggest a Dean.

20. Jiimy

Jiimy

Mar 3, 2002
    Athens AL, USA
    There are the Gibson made Tobias basses, they're really good and around $600.