1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best slap bass strings youve ever played

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassistjo, Aug 21, 2007.

1. bassistjo

bassistjo

Jun 22, 2005
    What are the best strings for slap bass that you have ever played

2. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI
    MTD strings, I play them not only on my MTD, but my Roscoe, F Bass. Just have a tone center to them thats clean, and round!

3. Sadowsky Stainless Steel 130's. By far the best! I've played DR, Elixr, GHS, Fodera, and others and I have never heard a brighter and punchier tone than the Sadowsky SS's. The B is as tight as they get.:bassist:

4. DR Fat Beams (the MM ones). They have a nice sound thats not too bright and not too warm. My slap sound on my 55-01 has grease to it lol.

5. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Agreed on the DR Fat Beam MM's. Just replace my Rotosound Swing bass 66 Stainless Steel Rounds on my Ibanez SR505.

This is not what I'd consider a bass for slapping but the slap tone with the DR's is quite nice - I imagine if they were on a nicer guitar that was more setup for slap they would sound sick as! :bassist:

6. Fender Dynamax 1200 I used a few years ago for sweet highs. LaBella HRS for a very agressive tone. Currently I'm thinking on trying tapewounds for slap.

7. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    I would say the MM DR Fat Beams are very good all around strings, probably the best IMHO, but the best slap strings ? I would hands down have to say a fresh set of SS DR High Beams:hyper:,,,, DR'S ROCK !!!!

8. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    I've found DR sunbeams really great for slap.
    For brighter sound I like d'addario xl steels

9. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    E

10. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    +1

I use the MTD ones on most of my basses. IN fact when I bought my first Ken Lawrence Brase I I loved the sound. When I replaced the strings with GHS, Ernie Ball, Fodera strings, the sound was not the same so I called Ken and he told me that he strung his bass (yes I bought his own personal bass!!!!) with MTDs!!! So I get to call Michael Tobias and he sends me the strings. The Ken Lawrence was restored to it's former glory. We started talking over time with Mr Tobias about sounds and basses and I ordered my first MTD few months later. The bass was a revalation (Thank you once again, Mr Tobias).

11. I've done a LOT of experimenting over the years and DR Highbeams are my current pick. Interestingly, I have not really tried the MTD strings and I own a 535. I need to do that once and for all.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fender Flatwounds, the sound of slap in the 60's and early 70's.

13. I like the DR Stainless Hi Beams for slap. Very consistent and remain bright.