Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Slap bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Jun 28, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    What would you say is the best bass for slap? I'm looking for a 5 string bass, that has nice smooth finger style but can be pushed and get growly, but has to be really easy for slapping. I slap tons and slap like flea so my thumb kinda goes all over the place.

I've heard the best basses for this would be, a stingray, and jazz bass or a modulus flea with the lane poor pickup, but I'm open to other ideas, so, what bass would you suggest?

~JB~

Oh and btw, does anyone know if the second pickup on the new stingrays will get in the way of slapping?

2. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Check out a Peavey Cirrus... fantastic slap tone!

3. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    If you're looking for growl, the Warwick Thumb has it in spades.

4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Those would be the basses I'd choose. One of my best friends had a Stingray which had a great slap tone -- one of the best I've heard. Louis Johnson often played one. Still, the Fender Jazz is a great option, too -- lots of your best slap tones and players like Marcus Miller come from Fender Jazzes. Can't go wrong either way. I don't have personal experience with the Modulus Flea, but it seems to get a great sound as well, though I think I'm more partial to the vintage sound of a slapped Jazz, personally. :bassist:

5. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    one question, what song did flea record "aeroplane" ? thats a sound id liek to have .lol

6. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    Those modulus basses he uses or a stingray

7. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    +1!!

8. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The same Modulus Flea 4 with Lane Poor pickup he's been using for a very long time. Most probably the famous "punk rock bass" (the one covered in stickers which looks awesome).

+1 on the Cirrius too, slaps nicely, I know high end and Peavey don't particularly fit but the Cirrius is a good bass, all the custom shop options are pretty cool too.

I doubt the second pickup on the new 'Rays would get in the way of slapping, you slap the end of the fret board, pickup isn't anywhere near close enough to affect the sound.

9. Fender Jazz V with roundwound, or SR5. I had the am dlx J V, it was awesome slap machine. Only the SR5 was able to overcome its mojo.

Randy

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Lakland 55-94 or Skyline 55-02... incredible slapper... plenty of space, too. Also, ANY ROSCOE!

11. Ibanez ATK...they don't make them anymore, but they pop up pretty often on the bay. Great slappers.

12. Basshammer

Basshammer

Feb 25, 2005
    Florida, USA
    Spector NS's have a great piano-like slap sound(mainly the 4 string USA models).

13. As a long time Stingray owner and Flea fan, I second the Lakland 55-94 as an awesome slapper and versatile.

14. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Stingrays are renowned for slappability, and rightly so. But the right Jazz bass can give a Stingray a good run for its money in this department. And a Status bass is awesome for slap.

I personally find a 5er awkward to slap and prefer a 4 string for this reason. But some guys do slap 5s well, it has to be said.

BTW, a lot of people will say "Rics are no good for slapping". Sure, not such a natural for this as a J or Ray, it takes a bit of getting into, but once you do... wow! Any other Ric players out there who like to slap that thing?

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I would think a Dingwall would have great even tension across all the strings and low action; sounds like a good recipe for slapping.

I've only played one briefly and I'm not much of a slapper, but I think they would sound awesome.

Any Dingwall slappers out there?

16. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    aeroplane was recorded with his stingray... i think it was the only song on that album that he used a stingray to record with.

bebop.

17. I think the song Flea recorded "aeroplane" was...

Aeroplane?

There ya go. If you're going to get a slappable bass, find out what kind of bass the guy that invented slapping is playing.... :D

Randy

18. FLEA DIDN'T INVENT SLAPPING! Sure, he's reknowned for it. But he's had PLENTY of predacessors. Louis Johnson comes to mind. Verdine White did his share of slappin' as well.

Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits once made a comment that there's nothing truly original in music. That its about everyone borrowing from everyone else and adding and subtracting to make it their own.

I have to agree.

Now am I off the subject, or WHAT? :eek:

19. Larry Graham :cool: