Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Slap bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coda, Sep 20, 2005.

1. coda

coda

Sep 20, 2005
    Riverside, Calif.
    Hey thanks for reading this. I am searching for the best slap/pluck/funk bass. I have heard Music Man makes a good one, but I used to play one and never felt it was really a great thumb slapper. Being so many basses these day, I sure could use some advise. Thanks again for your ideas! :bassist:

Update!!! Thank you all for your insight, time and great. You guys really are the best. So many great ideas and suggestions, wow! I just can't get over the postive informational responce . :D Thanks again, coda...

2. I've got a Fender P-Bass, an Ibanez Ergodyne and a G&L. Of these the G&L seems to lend itself to slapping a lot more than the other. I love the way it feels. I also recommend sticking with a four string to slap with. I can slap on my Ibanez (5 string) but the four string gives me a little bit more room to get my fingers between the strings in order to pop.

3. I think any bass can be funky, cause that's a style of playing. I love getting funky on my Jazz bass! Most funk came out of the 70s and the Jazz and Precision basses were the number one choice. If you're looking for a classic funk or slap tone, go with a Fender. Lots of people prefer a hifi sound for slap now, and if you're on a budget, I'd recomend Ibanez for a modern slap sound. BTBs have wide spacing, but SRs would be nice too.

What's your price range anyways?

4. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    anything but a jazz bass. the low action and smooth feel is great for fingerstyle playing- but i cant stand slapping on them. i need the action a little higher to get my right hand under the strings for plucks and upward rakes.

my first suggestion wouldve been a musicman stingray- i slap on that and love it- very versatile bass. but- if you dont like them- as you mentioned- go fender p-bass.

5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    fender, ken larence, fodera, f bass, nrdstrand, elrick, blah blah blah

any bass is good

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    What in the heck are you talking about? You adjust the action on your basses- jazz basses don't naturally have lower action than other basses. You can make the action on a jazz just as high as any other bass out there.

Not to mention that Fender Jazz basses were known as "the" basses for slap for a long time. The Marcus Miller slap tone that is so often sought after is from a Jazz, let alone all the other jazz-bass slappers like Larry Graham, Bootsy, etc.

7. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Oh you're on a budget? Check out Ritter Basses :bag:

8. You really cannot go wrong with a Musicman when it comes to the slap style. What I look for in a bass is that it not only has the tone for slapping but also the playability. I only buy a bass if it has a great slap tone and great playability for slapping, if it doesn't cut it here then I pass on it. There are many boutique type basses that slap brilliantly such as F Bass, Ken Smith, Status, and Alembic for starters. All these basses have hi fi electronics and supple playability which are both musts IMHO to achieve great slap tone, however many people also prefer the old school slap tone that a p-bass can give. Fender J-Basses do the slap style well as Marcus Miller illustrates in spades. You should decide what type of slap tone does it for you and that will give you a better idea of what type of bass you should use as a Fender's slap tone differs greatly form say something like a Stingray or even a Ken Smith. FYI, my personal Soundclick page has several tunes on it displaying the sounds of a lot of different basses including a Yamaha TRB6JP, Peavey Cirrus 5, Yamaha TRB5II, Musicman Stingray 5, Fender Am. Dlx. Jazz Bass V FMT, Fender Roscoe Beck 5 and a Godin BG-V. I bought all of these basses because their slap tone and feel worked for me, but the Peavey Cirrus 5 was definitely the best of the bunch as far as slapping is concerned.

Cheers,
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=234528

9. Wood choice is also a factor. IME, basses having an ash body and maple fretboard generally have a brighter and more articulate slap tone over an alder/rosewood combo, all else being equal. Although I've played alder/rosewood basses (and currently own one) that slap really well.

+1 on the jazz bass comments. Without the jazz, the marcus miller sound wouldn't exist.

10. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    I personally like the slap sound of Warwicks... I just like the more Mark King treblish tone. Other people will say Stingrays.
    And, I actually played a Roya!!!! it was amazing. The nicest thing I played... if you have a ton of money, i would look into calling Jens

11. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The best slap/pluck/funk bass is going to be the one you feel most comfortable on, period. We can sit here all day and say this bass...no this bass... no this bass. I like the way Musicman basses sound and I wish they were more comfortable for me, but they are not so I dont play them. The best slap/pluck/funk bass for me is my Modulus Quantum 5. Though I am sure most people here would say Ugghh those basses sound sterile, the string spacing is too tight, Bartolini pick ups suck...and so forth. This bass just happens to be the most comfortable for me, I dont know why? So play as many basses as you can and take your time purchasing. Unfortunatly all the hype about basses being the best hasn't helped me. I have spent several thousand on a bass that I didn't like as much as an $800.00 bass.

O.K. maybe there is an exception, slap/pluck/funk on a Hofner, NO :eek:

12. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    So...you want a bass that you can play with your THUMB. Hmmm. I would recommend...I'm going out on a limb here - A THUMB BASS.

I love my Warwicks. Best funk bass ever, period.

13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Bang for the buck, I'd say go with a Marcus Miller signature Fender.

14. Simball

Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I own a jazz(alder/rosewood) and a stingray(ash/maple). They both rock for slap! Hardly anyone mentions Modulus as killer slap machines, IMO they are. If you're on a budget check out yamaha or essex jazz with a maple board and a crispy set of stainless steel strings.

15. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Can you tell what bass did you use for each track?

16. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    What bass are you currently playing? Do you feel that you cannot slap on it? I would recomend a teacher who will focus on slap and pop. Just a radical thought here but it does not really matter what kind of bass it is, it matters what your hands do with it. Oh, and since you asked the most impressive slap sound I have ever heard was an Alembic Excel with an Ash body and a single Alembic Fatboy pickup played through a EBS Fafner head and a Accugrove cab. Smokin' tone...

17. bass&cookies

bass&cookies

Sep 20, 2005
    i have an sr5. they are wonderful slappers

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As Bryan said, you can adjust the action on any bass to your liking. My Geddy Lee Jazz came with pretty high action. I currently have it set up with Victor Wooten type stupid low action.

Coda, there are tons of great slap basses out there.

The two classics and standards for slap tone are the Fender Jazz bass and the Musicman Stingray.

But almost any modern bass is good for slap. I love the slap tone that I get from my Peavey Cirrus 6 and my Nordstrand SC5.

19. Hi Papersen,

Here's the breakdown of basses and trx on my Soundclick page:

Yamaha TRB6JP: the world in her eyes, point of no return, cold coffee and 2005

Peavey Cirrus 5: resonate, Jaimbe, whiplash, Cirrus-ly

Yamaha TRB5II: Time Trusted, Say It Again, Upon Your Arrival, One In A Million, Conjecture, A Twist Of Fait, Shining Through, Night Moves, Tell Her Everything, The Other Side, Westward, anything at all, the way it was

Godin BG-V: high roller, Devotion, Juice It Up

Musicman Stingray 5: beyond all borders, falling down, walking the tightrope,

Fender Am. Dlx. Jazz Bass V: left to our own devices, black and blue, foundations, bottom feeders, where this road goes, after midnight, money can't change a thing, lost without you and day and night

Fender Roscoe Beck 5: One For Marcus

Yamaha TRB6P: where ever you are

Cheers,
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=234528