Best Slap CDs?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by AutoWah, Jun 2, 2002.

1. AutoWah

May 27, 2002
    OK, new to the forum, hope i can have a lot of help here. And I just learn Bass for like a year now (a serious year). I need reference from you guys.

What are the best CDs that shows the edge of Slap/Pop techniques?

I need something that is 90's, but any of Louis Johnsons are fine ;)

Thanks! :D
  2. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't know about which are the best, so I'm looking forward to seeing the responses.

Lately, I've been listening to Alain Caron's "Call Me Al" CD. He slaps an F Bass, and his playing is incredible. I also like Marcus Miller's last three CDs too.
  3. When it comes to slapping, two guys that really come to mind in terms of really developing and expanding it are Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten.

One of my favorite Marcus Miller tunes is "Rampage". The song has a really cool slap groove and a very rhythmical slap solo. Marcus also slaps very melodically and you can hear a lot of this on his solo albums.

Victor Wooten is a slap monster. He's most famous for the "double-thumping" technique. Pretty much all his solo albums and Bela Fleck and the Flecktones albums have examples of this. One of my favorite tunes where Victor uses the double-thump technique is "Monkey See" with the Flecktones. He also slaps the entire Donna Lee melody at a super-fast tempo on the Bass Extremes I instructional CD.

I recently also came across a tune by Alain Caron called "Slam the Clown" with a very cool slap solo. Hope this offers you a good start.

BTW, I am also interested in finding some Louis Johnson tunes. His recordings are so hard to find. I've only heard bits and pieces of his playing over the years, but his stuff from over twenty years ago still holds its own today!
  4. AutoWah

May 27, 2002
    thanks a lot guys. yeas, i know Louis Johnson's are hard to find. But I'll try.
    What about Les Claypool ? Is he good for a beginner like me?
    Keep it coming guys, i need as much as i can get :D
  5. lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    First person to mention flea!!:rolleyes:
    The cd "what hits" by rhcp has some decent slapping but my favorite part of it is that the slapping is used, but not overused.
  6. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Some of the Brothers Johnson stuff is probably hard to find, especially outside of the US and Japan, but you should also look for Quincy Jones albums, particularly The Dude . Louis is amazing on Ai No Corrida , as well as the title tune on this album.

You should also check out Michael Jackson's Off The Wall and Thriller albums. Lot's of Louis.

One of my favorite non-Brothers Johnson examples of Louis is Twinkle by Earl Klugh. Can't remember what album that was on. I was Big Man On Campus when I learned that solo. Played it on a Music Man, too. Just like Louis.

7. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Lets not forget FiElDy

:D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:
  8. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Relax, Boy

That's the name of the band...
  9. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think most players at the edge of slap technique aren't good for beggining to learn. They are extremely difficult even for very proficient players.

Wooten, Claypool, Miller, Clark etc. are all very good to listen to for ideas, and even learn their techniques, but they probably aren't the best material to start learning with. Once you are proficient at straight popping & thumping then you can try to incorporate double stops, rakes, and double thumbing/plucking.

If you can read music I would try the book "Slap It" by Tony Oppenheimer(sp?). The video "The Slap Bass Program" is also very good, but doesn't spend alot of time on basics., and also have some slapping exercises.

I'd start by trying to learn some of Fleas lines since they aren't quite as hard. (Flea fans don't get mad, you can't say Higher Ground is as hard as Classical Thump. I'm not commenting on how good they are, just how hard to play)
  10. AutoWah

May 27, 2002
    hmmm.... i have this video by earl greco, he plays well.
    And in our local video store, i can find lots of Bass Videos, from chick korea's to Louis'

what Bass Video do you think i must have?

CHRIS : I can't go to ~ have any other link(s)?
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You might wanna check out "The Infectious Grooves" there a cool band, with an interesting use of slap bass, flea esque but more punky... I don't know, it's just cool.
  12. Kind of an offshoot here, but I certainly agree with you on that note, Chris. That said, do you have any suggestions as to where I should start learning the basics? I've watched this video countless times and worked with it, but I feel like I'm missing something very basic with the technique.
  13. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
  14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Da5id HeX - You can also check out the lessons at - there are some basic slap exercises there.
  15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I think when you start studying a style, you should not neglect the roots............get the Larry Graham
    & Bootsy anthologys:D
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Finally... a voice from the wilderness.

I was wonderin' when Larry Graham's name would 'pop' up in this thread.
  17. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Mudvayne- LD50 if you like downtuned slap and pops. As far as I know Anti-pop by Primus is a pretty cool slap song, but weather its for a newbie or not i dunno. :D
  18. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Marcus Miller-solo,w/David Sanborn, or Bryan Ferry.
    Stanley Clarke-"School Days"
    Mark King-Level 42 "Level Best"
    Flea-RHCP's 1st -3rd album
    Mike Watt-"Double Nickels on the Dime"
  19. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    The Level 42 album I would recommend is Physical Presence (live) or Live at Wembley. The best slap songs are spread all over the records so you really need to get them all ;)

The early tapes: Mr Pink, 88
    Level 42: "43", Heathrow, Love Games
    The Pursuit Of Accidents: You Can't Blame Louis, Eyes Waterfalling
    Standing In The Light: Micro-Kid, Dance On Heavy Weather, The Machine Stops
    True Colours: The Chant Has Begun, Hot Water,
    World Machine: Something About You, I Sleep On My Heart (this is a killer!).
    Running In The Family: Lessons In Love, Running In The Family, Fashion Fever
    Staring At The Sun: Heaven In My Hands, Take A Look, Silence, Tracie, Two Hearts Collide
    Guaranteed: Guaranteed, Overtime

I really like RHCP's One Hot minute. Aeroplane is one funny track!
  20. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I haven't heard that one, just wanted to mention my favourite non-Brothers Johnson example of Louis-
    It's from Qunicy Jones' I Heard That! double album...the tune is an instrumental All-Star 'jam' called "Midnight Soul Patrol". Johnson thumbs a solo(& is "trading fours" with Stanley on piccolo bass).
    Don't think this album was EVER issued on cd...

Maybe a little unheard or obscure-
    I like Muzz Skillings' thumb/pop line to "Funny Vibe"(from LIving Colour's Vivid album).

Caron's Rhythm 'N' Jazz, as mentioned earlier by Yvon, is a little ridiculous.