Best SLOW bass song or solo....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by frankencow150, Dec 15, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    what do you guys think is the best solo or song by any bassist that isnt lightning speed?I go with "portrait of tracy" by Jaco.
  2. "only in dreams"-weezer.

not horribly complicated, but effective.

3. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I personally like Jaco's "Continium".
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I second that for "Continuum", and I'd have to go with "Manifest Destiny" by Jamiroquai, and "Enormous Room" by Michael Manring..
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    That piece is great. In fact, the whole album is great. :)
  6. Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    I can't remember the name of it, but the 4th cut on "Shades" by the Yellowjackets. Damn! What a fine tone!!!!!
  7. Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    I just looked on the Yellowjackets Website, and I misspoke. It was the 3rd track "one Family".

Although the 4th track "Revelation" is a gospel barn-burner!!!!!!
  8. "No one knows" by Green Day. Absolutely bloody beautiful.:p
  9. dmbbassdude

Apr 25, 2001
    Any of Mr. Wooten's slow solos in some Flecktones songs (eg. Big Country or Flight of the Cosmic Hippo).
  10. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Fretless guru Pino Palladino has numerous classic legato solos, but one of my very favourite is his smooth bliss in "Murder" from David Gilmour's solo album "About Face" from the 80's.
  11. "From dream til daylight" - To rocco rot and I-sound. Its a nice sleepy song, yet very cool.\

It's also probably good make out music :D
  12. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know some of these songs, but right now, I'd toss out the current incarnation of "Deception of the Thrush" from King Crimson. It seems to be the most talked about song on the tour.
  13. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've always kinda dug JPJ on Zeppelin's 'The Lemon Song'...

14. I'm feeling goofy tonight, and in my mind I heard a kOrN ballad, with Fieldy pouring his hear out on bass... "cliiick... clakity clik... claaaaaaak.. clak.. click"... I would pay good money to hear a Korn ballad.
  15. Theres quite a few very slow Korn songs.
  16. yah buddy!!!!

yellowjackets nurtured my soul when i needed it bad (i was in the navy, on a guided missile cruiser in the persian gulf, killing people with missiles because the UN said to)

on a brighter note........

yellowjackets bassist jimmy haslip plays a left - handed bass with the fat string on the bottom. cool, huh???
  17. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Michael Manring's "Adhan" off of "Thonk". Nothing but sustained notes on fretless with an ebow.

Mark Egan did something similar with a volume pedal on "Mosaic". Can't remember the name of the tune.
  18. I know, but they are still heavy. I mean like a 80's cheese metal ballad. Like a Korn version of "Every Rose has it's Thorn".
  19. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Pino Palladino played some great fretless stuff on "Every Time You Go Away" by Paul Young.

Speaking of Jimmy Haslip, listen to the old Gino Vanelli album "Brother To Brother" for a cut called "Feel Like Flying"...smoking solo sections and great grooves on the rest of the tune. In fact, that whole album is a bass player's party.
  20. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I heard it was in fact TWO Ebows...? It's damn beautiful anyway.