Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEst Small Amp for Acoustic Bass???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SkyChaney, Jul 31, 2005.

1. SkyChaney

SkyChaney

Jul 31, 2005
    [/FONT]:bassist: I'm new to bass playing. Just purchased a Dean Performer acoustic bass. I plan to play with a folk group that is mainly all-acoustic... so don't need much volume. What small amp would give me the best low volume sound? I'm considering a SWR LA8 or LA10... or perhaps a Roland Cube 30. Does anyone have experience with these? Thank you much for any experience you can share!

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think a Carvin PB100-10 would suit you quite well. It's light, has excellent tone, and is reasonably priced. I think it's much better than the inexpensive SWR models. It has a nice, warm tone that would work well with an acoustic bass. It sounds great with my semi-hollow. The Roland Cube 100 is better, but costs a bit more.

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Tyr to stay away from really small practice combo's. The combination of low power, small speakers and lack of features will cripple your sound and frustrate you in endless ways on a gig.

Go and look at Ashdown's Electric Blue combos, even if you dont like those actual amps, the specs are in the right ball park, so check out similar amps from other people!.

HTH, Jack.

4. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    In response to a PM:

I would say 'small' speakers are anything below a 10", but If you could manage a 12" or even a 15" it would project much better and have more low-end.

Also, to be heard over two acoustic guitars I would suggest at least 50W, 100W would be much better. I know that sounds a lot, but lower frequencies need more power to make them the same volume as higher frequencies (really simplified version :D).

That Roland is about the absolute smallest I would go for. The problem is, if you buy that and its not enough, then youve got to sell that (at a loss) and then spend more money on a bigger amp.

The SWR LA12 looks good, but there are other options: Bass Combos $200-$300
    EDIT -The link doesnt appear to work as planned, at the top, select 'Filter by Price - $200-$300'

The Fender Rumble 100, SWR LA15 and Gallien-Krueger Backline 112 are all in the same price range as the Roland, and IME would be much better choices.

Jack.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a student who's opinion I trust who has a GK backline 112 and he loves it. Check it out. Any Guitar Center should have one.

6. A wonderful sounding, very small, very light rig that sounds absolutely fabulous with an acoustic bass guiter (or in my case, a Rob Allen semi acoustic bass guitar) is an Acme 110 with one of the old (or new) AI Clarus amps. I'm not a big fan of the Acme cabs with a typical electric bass, but the AI Clarus/Acme combo is really warm and brings out the inherent woodiness of those types of basses. My Rob Allen sound like a very good fretless bass guitar through most amps, but really started to sound like an upright through the Clarus/Acme rig. It's not going to put out a lot of volume, but will sound great in small to medium clubs in a folk setting.

7. I've been using a Hartke Kickback 12 w/pretty good results- good tone, plenty of volume & headroom, not too big. You can find these used for $225 or so(maybe mine in a few days). In the endless search for the ultimate rig, I've just stumbled upon the Eden CXC-110, a 1x10 combo. I got a blemished one from Zzounds, but it came with a trashed driver. I tried it through a 1x12" I had lying around, & I am ASTOUNDED at the awesome tone- & this is w/a Radio Shack piezo & NO PREAMP. In the words of the qintar, incredible. On a scale of 1-10, Hartke:7.5-8, Eden:27.
    My feeling regarding DB amplification though is that there is an ideal amp/pickup/preamp for your bass & gig, & it may differ hugely from mine. Some of these pros have gone through(& continue to go through)tons of rigs in the search for 'the sound'.

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Guys, the Dean Performer is an acoustic bass guitar, not an upright/double bass. :)

9. But I will say that the above mentioned Hartke combo actually works well for bass guitar & standup bass(particularly the shape function- a great feedback fighter), so perhaps it would be good for ABG as well. I became confused because I'm in the middle of a 'best small combo for bass guitar & double bass' quagmire. :rolleyes:

10. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    No problem, I just assumed it was an ABG without even thinking about it, then I saw those posts and thought "Hmmm, it might be a double bass, I didnt even think" My next thought was the words "To Google!"

11. SkyChaney

SkyChaney

Jul 31, 2005
    Thanks much for the ongoing suggestions! I'll check these out... buy one... and save this info to get another if I'm not satisfied.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I forgot about the Hartke kickback 112. I love that little amp.

13. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I use an Ampeg B100R with my Ibanez 5-string ABG. It's got good bottom, even with the B string, which some of the smaller combos I tried out didn't.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Another great choice! If you want a warm sound than this is the way to go.

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Ampeg is supposed to release a 200 watt 2x8 combo this month...

I have an older swr baby blue 2x8 that I like lots...prior to that I was using an swr strawberry blonde that was pretty good as well. Swr california blonde is similar, but as a 12" driver instead of 10" and also has a mic input, which can be useful...

16. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    All very good choices (especially the B100R, thats the only Ampeg I really like) but judging by the amps SkyChaney asked specifiaclly about, we may be straying out of budget with some of the more recent ideas.

Still, maybe SkyChaney is a millionaire. In which case, youll want a WW ultra with an Accugroove Tri112, is there a better rig for ABG? :D

(No flames please, I just kinda randomly picked from the small amps category)

17. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    THE BEST Combo Amp for Acoustic Bass (IMHO) since 1998. The G-K Microbass 150S. The amp is 100 watts with a 12" speaker and weighs in at 24 lbs. WARNING These are not low priced amps when new I think they are about $700.00 on the street. You might get lucky and find one used for much less than that. If you get one you will never need to upgrade. You can aslo add another 12" or a 15" the output goes to 150 watts for bigger venues.I used mine a song circle last week with 8 acoustic guitar players,2 mandolins and a banjo, and got many compliments on the sound.
    I was playing my Tacoma Thunderchief 4 string.

Peace Out
    Mike C

18. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I must admit Ive never even heard of those amps, but count this as +1 for GK in general!

19. I ordered an Eden CXC-110 yesterday, & when it gets here I'll probably throw the Hartke up for sale. Watch the classifieds- I'll probably ask $250 or so shipped.