1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best small amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by izzy7, Oct 27, 2013.

1. izzy7

izzy7

Sep 9, 2013
    Can anyone recommend a really good sounding small amp? I need something that can produce great bass sounds at low volumes as I live in the flat and do not want to disturb neighbours. I have Yamaha THR10 which sounds good but I recently tried an amp with 8x10 cabinet and loved the sound of it- so I am after that kind of sound n a small package.

2. The 810 sound in a small package is impossible. Its the cab.

3. You're also looking for world peace right ;). I'm guessing you are not in the US? Modeling combos might be worth a listen Line 6, Roland, Fender, BG250.

4. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    My Fender Rumble 15 sounds great at 2 in my apartment.

Not too loud and has a nice sound.

5. lowsideonacurve

lowsideonacurve

Feb 24, 2011
    Acoustic B20

6. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    it is possible to get the bassy thick tone from a pair of 5" studio monitors

7. Headphones. It'll sound amazing, and you can go as loud as you want.

8. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Something that tilts back so the bass is in your face, the 810 is up closer to your ears which makes it sound awesome, so if you find a small combo that directs/focuses the sound to your ears, it will sound better than just pushing air along the ground. You can even try doing that with your current amp, get creative.

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    My Carvin MB10 sounds incredible, and the fact I can drive an extension for a mini 250 watt stack makes it invaluable. It's my rehersal/small gig rig right now sitting on a 12" extension. I run it pretty hard too and it's been a champ.

Last I looked they were offering free TOLEX coverings, some of which are super-cool, all for 279.00 bucks. Very versatile head built-in the thing.

As for the closest thing to sound like the 810, that would be the Ampeg Micro VR head on the SVT210AV cab.

10. MarkBass Micromark 801 combo. one 8" driver. 10 lbs x 45 Watt. Simply awesome. And it can get ridiculously loud if pushed.

11. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    GK MB112 - 1-12" 200 Watts huge phat bottom end !

andonbray likes this.
  12. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Phil Jones Briefcase or Bass cub. For Bigger, flight case, super flightcase, Suitcase.

13. I use a Roland Cube 20-xl bass amp for home practice, recording and low volume restaurant/coffee house gigs. Here is a very useful YouTube demo of the amp. It is without a doubt some of the best money I've ever spent on bass gear.:bassist:
    I use the SVT emulator a majority of the time. No it does not produce the full thunder of a cranked SVT rig (it's 20 watts into a single 8" speaker), BUT it does sound like a very very good recording of a classic SVT at full roar. I also like the Ampeg Flip Top and SWR settings. The amp is small and light (basically a 13 inch 20 pound cube) and has some effects and a headphone/line out option. I find the power squeeze a handly option (basically cuts output by about 70% while maintain the same tone) which allows me to keep my rehearsal setting but reduce the volume level for home practice without disturbing the family. Mainly I use 4 string Fender basses but occasionally I will plug in an Ibanez SR505 (SWR setting) and the low B string sounds fine.

My only dislike (and it's minor) about the amp is the hard wired power cord and the plastic "ears" on the back of the cab for winding up and storing the power cord. I would prefer the more modern removable type power cord used by Ampeg, G-K, Mesa, Hartke, Markbass etc.
    My $0.02 & YMMV

14. +1.

Yep. Headphones. :bassist:

15. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    Get a used line 6 studio 110. Around $150 for 75 watts

16. This or headphones and a Korg PX5D or similar..

17. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Is this like wanting a Hummer on a Volkswagen frame?

18. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Well, the car market certainly can offer that.

Annoyingly....

(Just my opinion, I'm a big Volvo station wagon fan, with the turning circle of a small frigate.)

19. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    the Fender Bronco is really a decent amp: 40W 10"spk....plenty loud for home, not bad for some jams......has XLR for PA support.. etc etc, built in tuner, compression, FX, recording software, tone modelling software......tons of modelling tones including something called a Rockin' Peg...it is a heck of a package

20. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    The Briefcase is the coolest form factor ever for a bass amp.

I agree with all the headphone suggestions.

My practice rig is an original Line6 Bass POD and a VOX Pathfinder. Or POD with headphones.