Best Small Bass Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lcocke, Aug 18, 2009.

1. lcocke

lcocke

Jun 12, 2009
    New Orleans, La
    I am very interested in hearing the various opinions out there as to the best small bass cab available. Emphasis on small. I have a very good head amp and a very good instrument and I would like to add a very good small bass cab. I'm thinking a 2 X 10, or a 1 X 12. I'm a bit older and weight is always a consideration. In this excercise, quality is more important than price. I play for personal pleasure, church and the occasional gig with close friends.

I know what GAS is all about and I do not have it. I used it up for my new instrument. I am asking for advice only. What would YOU buy?

Thanks in advance. Lewis in New orleans

johnny_bolt likes this.
  2. lowfreek

lowfreek In Memoriam

Nov 2, 2006
    Central New York
  3. lcocke

lcocke

Jun 12, 2009
    New Orleans, La
    Wow! Thanks. Got one for sale? Kidding. I'll look into it. Lewis

4. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    My choices in no particular order with a 12" speaker would be:

Avatar SB 112 Neo LF (39 lb) 250 watt or with the Delta LF (46 lb) 500 watt for higher power rating.

Genz Benz NEOX-112T (37 lb) 300 watt

Or for lighter weight the Genz Benz Shuttle 12" cab STL-12T (27 lb) 300 watt

5. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    define small and define "best" (best at WHAT?)

6. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    GB NeoX 112T......210T......Aguilar GS112

Can't go wrong. Take it from an old guy.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Ozarks
    I would say check out some single twelve cabs. You can get a couple and decide to use one or both depending on the gig. I use my Aguilar GS112 with a markbass amp at my church and it does a great job. Two would cover any gig I'd want to do. Of course I don't play any heavy metal/grunge/screamo gigs.
    The cab weighs 42 pounds I can carry it with one hand or lift it over my head if I want. BTW I'm 53 and not an athlete by any stretch of imagination.
    fampic2008d.jpg

dharris9311 likes this.
  8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    EA

9. You didn't state the power rating of your amp, but here are a couple of suggestions anyway:

-Euphonic Audio Wizzy (regular)

-Euphinic Audio M-Line Wizzy

-Acme Low B-1

-if you enough power, an Acme Low B-2, or

-have Don Oatman at Low Down Sound make you a fEarful 12/6 cabinet in your choice of coverings, grillclothes, etc.

Compare the prices of all these suggestions and those of others. Some might surprise you.

10. Blueser

Blueser

Aug 8, 2009
    Perhaps a Mesa Powerhouse 1x12 would do the job. It is loaded with a Neo speaker, and has the ability to slip on a set of casters.

11. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Bergantino. Small. Light. Good.

12. +1. I should have included Jim's cabs in my list.

13. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    +1 on Bergantino. Add Epifani and Schroeder to the list :)

14. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I recently added a Euphonic Audio Wizzy 12 M-Line to my arsenal, and I really like it; sounds great with both DB and 5-string electric bass, and when used in conjunction with its stablemate, a VL208, the sound is quite remarkable!

Here's a blurb from the EA website:

http://www.eaamps.com/product_detail.asp?ID=288

The "old school" Wizzy 12 with a bit of elegance and class

Description: If the Wizzy 12 is the "flip top for the new millennium" than the M-Line Wizzy 12 is a flip top with Top Hat and Tails. A bit more refined in the low end and the side vented M shaped transmission line gives a wider dispersion. Your drummer will love what they hear and so will you!

Frequency Response: 45Hz to 12.0KHz
    Size: 19.5"H x 16.0"W x 12.75"D
    Weight: 34 lbs
    Configuration: 1 x 12"
    Woofer: Proprietary EA 12" full-range driver with Whizzer cone
    Sensitivity: 103dB @ 1m
    Sound Pressure: 126dB @ 1m
    Power Handling: 200 watts
    Impedance: 4 ohm
    Connection Type: Two Speakon Jacks
    Handle: One integrated custom cup handle on each side

15. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    +1 to fEarful 12/6, a truly accurate, flat response cab with huge bottom end on tap.

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I own the Avatar SB112. it isn't bad but isn't near best by a long shot. I also own a bag End S15X-D and a pair of 1x15's in small cab's using neo drivers. I like the 15's a lot. The Bag is amazing - from about 70hz up... and light weight is something you never hear applied to Bag End cab's... still their 2x10 (D10BX-D) is an amazing cab. 70 lbs but amazing ...

I've played a bit through Passinwind's 12+6 fEarful and if you have 500 watts on tap - that is the best. Period. None bettter. Creme de'la cream... however - I'm not sure that LDS would be my choice in builder. Not unless their x-over guy is ready to do a replica of PW's x-over. that is a HUGE part of the deal...

If you want 'sweet, round and detailed' and 'off the shelf' then the Epi UL 112 would have to be on the audition short list. Particularly the series 1...

17. +1 for the EA Wizzy M. Great sound, relatively light and compact and one of the most efficient 1x12 cabs available.

18. I know that you mentioned a 2X10 or a 1X12, but I have to throw this out there:

The Bergantino HT115 is perhaps the best sounding little cab that I've heard. Beautiful and warm lows, solid mids and full, sweet highs. I use one in my practice rig and I'll never part with it.

The (-) is that it is not a neo and is thus a little heavier than many of the other cabs mentioned, but it is not a ball-buster either. 55lbs or so would be my guess.

Dave at Avatar is a great guy and his cabs are excellent, but they are not on the same level as Bergantino or Epifani - I owned all 3 at the same time and A-B-ed the Dickins out of them. If money is not an issue, you can find several better sounding cabs.

Try the HT115 if you think you can manage the weight - and it's actually quite a bit smaller than an Avatar 115.

Good luck!

Mac

19. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
  20. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    My only experiences:
    Anything Bergantino
    GB 1x12
    I'm sure there are many others but can highly recommend the above

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021