Best small cab for EA iAmp 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5bassman, Aug 31, 2005.

1. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    What's your opinion or experience on the best small cab(1x10 or 1x12) to go with the iAmp 500. I have a Whizzy 112 which is good but I would like another cab with a tweeter to brighten things up a bit. I've been looking at the EA CXL110(used), EA 112, Bergantino HT112, or Epifani 110 NYC(used) or others.
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    All of the above a pretty good choices. Other than the lack of a tweeter, are you happy with the sound of the Wizzy? If so, you might like the NL-210, which is really quite compact and light for a 2x10. It has much of the Wizzy warmth to it, but has extended lows and highs (in comparison to the Wizzy), and would come the closest that I can think of to the sound of a "Wizzy with a tweeter." In a 1x12 package, the HT112 might be your best bet, though it has a slight low-mid emphasis (versus the Wizzy's upper-mid presence).

3. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    4 ohms, will take every watt your EA can put out. Nice pleasant highs like the other EA cabs with significantly more abilility to handle bottom booty, while maintaining perfect clarity. Are they as "flat" sounding ? as EA's. I don't know but you're gonna get a lot more undistorted shear volume with whatever tone shaping you need to make it sound how you like with the Schoeder without worrying about bottoming out a one speaker cabinet. Having had a CXL112, and several other EA cab's 110vl and 208 vl's, 2 Cxl 112's will only be slightly if at all louder than one Schroeder 1210 and I feel the 1212 Schroeder probably will totally out perform 2 cxl 112's. Size wise it's 23 wide, 16 high and 16 deep which is not any bigger than most 112 cabs other than a Bergantino which can not even begin to touch the Schroeder as a one cabinet solution. The Schroe's weigh under 50 pounds so it's not "terrible" and are priced equivalent if not less than the Bergie, Epifani, and EA 112 offerings.

Good luck on selecting. Shopping can be fun even for us GAS guys.

4. I'm staying out of this one :)
  5. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Oh, com-on!
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Are you looking to use the Wizzy and the other cab at the same time? What styles will you be playing, and at what sort of volume?
  7. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

Are you "endorsing" staying out of things? :D

(sorry couldn't help myself after reading that other thread)
  8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder

Yea, I think you have cause enough trouble for one day.... :smug:
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I have used two Wizzy's with a 500 with great results, however, the lack of tweeters tends to make this rig VERY warm with a distinct lack of top-end "sizzle," especially if you slap a lot.

I've also used the CXL110 and the Wizzy together and gotten great results. So I guess that's the option I'd choose. Be aware also that the CXL110 is discontinued although you can still find them if you look.

For my money, EA cabs are the best match with EA heads. Good luck.
  10. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    The cxl-110 is discontinued? Gollihur still has them listed on his site. :confused:
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    will a small 1x10 be enough for you? what kind of music and how loud is your stage mix?
  12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Wow, I guess I can't help. I pair my wizzy with a CXL-112 for *more* warmth and bottom end :D

And before that I was pairing the CXL with an LDS for a more vintage sound. Some sound clips here:

Warning: The wizzy is 4 ohm, so try it before pairing with an 8 ohm speaker. Or get a second 4 ohm.
  13. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    I play at a large church through my iAmp 500 and the churches Eden XLT 210 and the sound system. This other cab will be mostly for home use along with my Whizzy. I will also like to use it alone as a practice cab with the Phil Jones Bass Buddy I'm receiving soon. I like it warm but not too warm.
  14. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I know a lot of guys here think differently, but my iAMP performs great with a couple Epifani cabs. I use an NYC112 most of the time. I also have a UL110 to add to the mix when I feel like it. I have found my perfect sound.

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Let us know how the Bass Buddy works out.
  17. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    At one point I had an iAmp 500, wizzy and CXL112 and thought it was a great combination. The cxl112 really fills in the low lows and high highs that the wizzy doesn't have and the two sound great together. That stack was also hella loud. Although they have different impedences the volume discrepency is small.
  18. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Everyone's got their preferences...I thought it was interesting that the majority (not all but most) of us in this thread were talking about using/needing TWO cabinets, priced in the $1250-1400+ total range new, that together weigh in at close to 80-90+ pounds that I agree sound great (I also loved the sound of EA's when I owned 'em), but I've got one cabinet that's $750, that weighs under 50 pounds, that's just as loud if not louder, more punchy, just as clear, handles and projects more bottom into your venue, can have just as "subtle" highs as EA's, and maybe, just maybe, you'll think sounds somewhere between as good as to better than your two EA's or Bergie's or others.

Might the pricing and portability factors alone make you curious? Might the fact that the marketplace has shown that one single multi speaker Schroeder cabinet the equivalent size of literally any other cabinet, especially with a single 12 or 10, like you're talking about adding, is reported to be a louder, more hearable, cutting tone, yet a pleasing one by the vast majority of us Schroeder owners.

I would give Jorg a call, see what he recommends, and as many of us have done, buy a 1210 or 1212 (maybe more depending on your back and budget) and sell the EA's. I got over mine really fast.

19. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I've ended up with a schroeder 1212 myself, mostly because of the portability factor. Both rigs (EA, schroeder) sound fantastic IMO. The EA rig had more clarity and a tighter bottom end but the Schroerder is definitely no slouch in these areas and is capable of getting extremely loud for a single smallish cabinet.

The question asked, however, was which cab would go best with a wizzy and iAmp 500 and I don't think the schro would be the best match with the wizzy.
  20. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I would agree with you on this set up. I also like Boogiebass' two Wizzy set up as well. Depending on the the gig I'll take different set ups but Tom B IMHO is spot on about the 210. For the most part I take either the Wizzy or the 210 depending on the gig. I have no idea how Tom B decides what to take to a gig. :) I find both cabs work well with my Metro or NS EUB. The Metro is plenty bright on its own so that hasn't been an issue. Add a bit of DEEP switch and I am happy.

I have never heard a Shroeder or Epi so can't comment on those. Ultimately your ears have to decide.

MODS: If I am stepping over the line with CUP let me know. I will delete as necessary. CUP is new for me.