Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best small head to go with Aguilar GS112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Figjam, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Aguilar is rated for 300 watts at 8 ohms... what would be the best head that puts out under 300 watts? Looking for a modern tone (ampeg is out) good for slapping. My tone is the musicman tone, if you know what i mean, and an amp that maintains that would be nice...

I currently play an Ashdown MAG300h through an Avatar B212 (4 ohm). The smaller rig would be a practice rig for college.

This being said, a headphone jack would be nice too.

2. Any of these heads would be great, depending on you sound preference. Power into 8ohms is right about right for all of these.

Ag500
    Thunderfunk550
    Eden550
    Eden405
    Epifani502
    AI Focus I
    EA iAmp500

They are all small, light and great sounding, and all put out about the same power into 4 and 8 ohms. The Focus puts out a little more, but IMO is the 'softest' of the bunch.

Edit: Assuming you are on a budget... the Eden405 might be the ticket for you, or the single channel version of the Ag500.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Budget is definitely a factor. The eden still looks really expensive...

I tihnk smaller even would be fine. I dont need anything that would be louder than 300 at 4 ohm bc i have my ashdown for that. Think around 300 at 4, 200 ish at 8 ohms...

GK 400rb?

4. Both the 405 and the single channel ag500 are relatively low priced and sound great. I prefer the 405, and the Eden stuff seems to be highly discounted at the moment. The 405 really retains that Eden sound at a 'budget' price. Also, the new Nemesis heads are even less expensive. I played through the lower wattage model and was impressed, but for a little more money, the build quality on the 405 seems much better.

Edit: For the ultimate budget move.... why not just use the Ashdown that you have?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was worried about not having a headphone jack, but that might not be a bad idea.

THis head run at 8 ohms would be quieter, especially through a smaller cab, and thatd save me the worry of possibly ending up with a head i didnt like bc i know i like this one.

Hmph. That works. Idk why i didnt think of that.

Is the GS112 a good choice? Any other small cabs that would do the job better? It has to be able to handle a low B, and have a tweeter.

6. Maybe use a little of the money you save on a Cafe Walter practice amp! It's a wonderful sounding headphone amp.... $169 at Bass Northwest.

7. I don't see anyone suggesting GK- I wonder if that would have the modern tone, & I see them fairly cheap all the time. I ask as I might like one myself- RB-400 or -700. Thoughts?

8. Nice stuff also. I think the larger ones, like the 700, have that goofy biamp thing going on that only works with their cabs, though.

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    if budget wasn't and issue: Walter Woods Ultra
    For the money: GK 150 head... can't remember the specific model though

10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    You might consider the GK 1001RB-II as a 700 watt/4 ohm bass head that gets a great punchy fast versatile tone (good for funk-it can get real bright) that sells for around $600 brand new shipped from Riks or RMC.com some where like that.

If you don't have a GK cab, just ignore the "goofy" tweeter volume knob and you can pretend it's just another mono regular bass head. I use my GK head with two GS112's and it sounds great.

Just use a standard 2 pole speakon connector cable and your non GK speaker cabinet won't get the goofy bi-amp signal. Also, the GK has a "hi-cut" control for the main output that shaves off some of the high end if the sounds is a little sterile sounding. Warms up the sound nicely. I find I boost the mids a little more when using my Aggies compared to my goofy GK Neo 112 cabinet.

I think the GK heads are the best value bang for your buck head out there I've seen so far. If money is a limiting factor, there you go pilgrim.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO,

you'd want an amp that puts out more than what your cab is rated. with more wattage/power on tap, you'll have a cleaner sound when pushed to the limits. if an amp hits its limit before the speakers do, you'll get an awful power section distortion that'll ruin your speakers.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im pretty sure i will be using my current head (ashdown) with a new, smaller, 8 ohm cab. I figure a single 12" cab as compared to a 2x12", and an 8 ohm as compared to a 4 ohm, should give me a quieter, more managable setup.

The aguilar gs112 is winning as of now.

13. Took my advice on the GS112, eh figjam? Well, I'm going to go and recommend another thing that I've never played, just going on reputation. Go with the Thunderfunk. I have never heard somebody say that they didn;t like their thunderfunk.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im not sure whos advice i took on the gs112, i was just browsing ads and i decided it looked like a nice cab and ive heard good about it.