1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Small Practice Amp - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Solarmist, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I've been looking primarily at the Acoustic B10/B20 or Ibanez SW15. Do any of you have experience with any of these?

Other suggestions?

I don't want to spend more than around $125, and am a little leary about combo's with 8" drivers.

Thanks guys.

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
  3. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    I'm thinking maybe something used. Don't count out the Ampeg 8" combo, either. The size of the driver is pretty much moot as long as the speaker cab is well-designed. It's a pretty highly regarded practice combo, and supposedly has some legit Ampeg mojo about it.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, the BA108. I use it on a little upright jazz gig I do occasionally and for practices. Won't blow you away with volume but it cops a surprising amount of tone for a $100 amp.

5. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    I saw a guy play a ROCK set at a bar with no pa support through a little Mesa 2-10 combo a while back. The drummer played LOUD!!! Tight bass that cut through he mix. It wasn't the loudest thing I have ever heard but the tone was good enough that it didn't matter. I didn't catch what model it was. Think I'm going to start looking for one my self.

6. Just yesterday I played on an Acoustic B-260 with the 100 Watt head and what I would guess was a folded horn. Whatever it was it was impressive.

I know new they are supposed to be $260.00 or so - but you might find one cheaper or possibly used for whatever reason.

A year ago I met a guy who bought three of them - one for his office at work, one for home practice and one for his jazz combo gig in a fancy-schmantsy restaurant.

7. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    I'll describe my B20 in the simplest terms.

Hate the tone. Muddy, lacks definition...spent alot of time fiddling with the eq knobs, to no avail.

Craftsmanship issues: The metal corners were installed crooked. Large gaps between the corners and the cab. (i fixed). The white vinyl piping surrounding the speaker grille was sloppily stapled to the grille frame--- bulged out in spots (i fixed). the little aluminum caps on the control knobs kept falling off. (removed ALL of them to prevent further grief and heartache).

All that aside, i was surprised at the volume. and its very light/portable (compared to my 90 lb tube head + 78 lb cab), so i use it at rehearsals now & then.

I would never purchase this combo amp. It was a gift.

8. playswhatpays

playswhatpays

Jan 24, 2012
    Fargo, ND
    I'll second the Fender 60, my Bassman is basically identical to it and has served me well over 15 years. Wanting a 10 over an 8 is a totally normal thing, embrace it. If at all possible, stay away from $125 amps. If that is your budget, check your local craigslist and classifieds, you will be able to get a much, much better amp.

9. nathanthomas5

nathanthomas5

Jan 24, 2012
    Fender bronco 40! Kicks ass anyday!

10. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Thanks guys for all your responses, but all I'm after is a small, light practice amp (10/20W is fine) that I can throw in the front seat, and take off.

GC has a couple Peavey Minx 110 for not to much; are they any good? Also some Crate combo's MXB15/BX-25?

11. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Nov 25, 2009
    Anacortes Wa.
    have you thought about a rockman/bassman headphone amp? Or maybe the best bet if you have to have a speaker in it is to check Craigslist , the one in Seattle always has something to fit the need it seems, and you'd save some coin.

12. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    I've the SW20 version of the Ibanez combo. One 8" element and a tweeter. By himself the combo sound ok, but with an other preamp it can sound amazing. Usually I use my sansamps or my iPad / Amplitube running into the aux, thus bypassing the Ibanez preamp and limiter. Can't really ask for more for using home when you get Ampeg tone out of an Ibanez combo! :)

13. ppal

ppal

Sep 1, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Roland Cube 100...awesome tone, I use it for small gigs, rehearsing and teaching....Highly recommend

14. playswhatpays

playswhatpays

Jan 24, 2012
    Fargo, ND

15. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Does nobody dig the Tascam Bass Trainer anymore?
    Mine stays set up all of the time - I use it constantly and even when I'm not playing through it, it's my CD player.

16. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    The B10 is really too small.

I love my Acoustic B20. Never had any
    problem with it. If it has any minor
    superficial stuff wrong with it, I ain't
    noticed.

It is simple and muddy by some standards.

But,

It is among top of affordable 20 watt amps.

Mine was $99.99 on sale at GC, Nice bedroom
    amp.

20 watts is not going to compete with these
    loud scratchy guitar amps, especially if drums
    are involved.

I think the Markbass Mini CMD 121P 1x12 Bass
    Combo Amp is one of the best small combos.

Tabdog

17. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    I have an Orange 100W CrushPix whatever its called, it does very well in a bedroom practice session, but anymore than that, particularly if you are using pedals, it just cant cut it. These days I practice through my main rig anyway, neighbours hate it and i DONT CARE.

Anyway, it depends how much you want out of it. just for bedroom... i'd happily reccomend the orange, but, atleast over here in NZ, for around the same price you can buy a GK combo and actually compete in a small band practice. I've actually heard alot of good things with those GK combos. I just hate the look of em haha.

18. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    even cheaper, when i was abit younger i used a peavey115w that was awesome for practice, and could just hold up with the 3 pc band i was in at the time. im sure those amps would go for pretty cheap now

19. _sky_

_sky_

Jan 8, 2012
    Portugal
    I recommend the Roland Cube Bass 30 (I have the 100 version but tried the 30). It kick ass and the sound is quite amazing.

20. paradog

paradog

Dec 25, 2011
    Central NJ
    find something new just out of your price and then look for it used...I picked up a Behringer BXL1200 for $70 not the most portable but it definately was a decent price for what it is