best small practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by muhammadsmith, Nov 14, 2002.

1. what's a good small inexpensive practice amp to get? i want something that sounds good without being cranked, basically. i know there are alot of possiblities here, i'm just curious as to what's out there. i'm thinking about starting my own bass rig (instead of playing my friend's), and before i can afford real amp, imma buy a bass and start learning a little more in the bedroom before venturing out into the world of performing
  2. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    The Peavey MINX would be one for you to check out.
    I've had one for about 3 yrs. and I love it.
    35 watts w/ 1-10" speaker.
    appx. $180-$200
  3. Ampeg B50R. Mine was about $200. Been very happy.
  4. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I'm not sure if it's the, "best," but I picked up a Fender Bassman 25 for a home alone practice combo. It has many features you may not need such as RCA inputs to practice along with recorded music, and a preamp output. It's output is clean and loud enough that its become my double bass trio amp.
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Define "sounds good".

I have an Ampeg B100R for a little practice amp, but it is extremely limited in terms of the tone. If you like a vintage tone, it is definitely the way to go, as it is a hell of an amp. I got mine used for $225 and I love it, though it does not necessarily offer the tone of choice for me.

If you want more versatility, you'll want to get something which offers more options in terms of equalization, shaping, etc. You could look at GK, Hartke (a brand I don't care for ), SWR LA Series or see if you can find a used Trace Elliot at a good price, if that's the sort of sound you're going for.
  6. Dude, this is the ultimate practice amp, if you're into this sort of thing.

Fender Musicmaster Bass 12Watt tube bass amp.

They come up on eBay all the time and go for around $150. Here's one, but the page kinda screws up for some reason. You can still see the pics and bid on it.

7. don't know if you caught this but the crate amp has a built in tuner
  8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Me too. Love mine
  9. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

Put me in the Crate column. I've got an older version of the 25-watt 10-inch combo that I got for $50. Lot of bang for the buck!

I've also used a 60-watt 10-inch combo for rehearsal in a very small room and had no problems keeping up with heavy guitar and drum action. I like Crate for the little stuff. Lots of sound in a small portable package.

Sort of a "round" punchy tone, if that means anything to you. I usually keep the EQ more or less flat & play passive J-style pickups.
  10. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    The 'peavey micro bass', i dont own one but have used our ex drummers brothers, and thought it was a beast compared to other small amps (i was beeing lazy and didnt want to take my big amp allll the way to his garage)

check it out, im unsure of pricing sorry.
  11. "good" for me is.... let's see....

I mostly play and listen to punk now. i really like Matt Freeman (rancid)'s bass tone. i wanna play bass with a pick, and the bass i'm planning on getting (don't laugh) is a OLP MM-2 stingray copy thing. I don't so much care about the quality of the bass itself 'cause right now i love to buy cheap guitars and mod them, so if there's something i don't like about that bass (like the bridge or pickup, which is the only thing from reviews that i forsee problems with), i should be fine fixing it with parts i can get off ebay :D

but yeah, that's the "setup" i want and the style i want to play in, so what would work best here?
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Fodera Practice box/amp!

i love mine. found it used on ebay, and its a great little guy to plug the headphones into and just noodle around.

also cool is Korg's Pandora. even smaller, and gives you effects to boot. and FiElDy uses one!! ;)

but for something larger, i cant recommend GK's M150 series of comboes. my overall fav.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As far as I am concerned, it is the best small practice amp under $500.

I compared it with the Ampeg BA112, Hartke Sidekick and SWR Workingman's 10. It was louder than all except the SWR, and it handled the notes below low E better than any of them.

It is loud enough to use on small gigs, as long as the guitarist isn't using distortion. I play my Zon fretless 5 through mine, and have played in a church that seats 200, accompanying drums, piano, guitar, organ and vocals. Had no problems being heard, and got some compliments on my tone as well.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm partial to my SWR Workingman's 12.

15. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I have the Ampeg B-100r and the Peavey Minx; both good amps for different jobs.

I keep the Minx in the living room. If you can set the knbos on "5" and get what you need for solo practice (I bet you can) it will serve well. It's small and well made. It weights 2/3 of the Ampeg, is substantially smaller with a 10", and costs 1/2 as much.

I keep the B-100r in the band practice space. It's loud enough to practice with 2 guitars and a drummer as long as everyone cooperates. It's loud enough for small shows if you take a signal out for a good PA to help you out. It has a great dark 60's kind of tone; not a good choice for modern sounds with lots of highs.

Another choice would be a used Peavey Basic 40 (bigger than a Minx) or a 130-150w combo (comparable to the Ampeg). I'd say it depends on how many amps you want to own/carry. I found that I hated moving amps around and just needed several different amps for different jobs.
  16. jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Best is a very definite word. I can't use it about any amp. But the word good is better!
    A good practice amp for me is the old faithful Gallien Krueger MB 200 I have used for like 15 years now. It's very small, the size of a 12" speaker more or less! It has a very warm tone even with very low volumes. And it's just lovely with the acoustic bassguitar. I think many upright players use it also.