Best SMALL practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I am looking for a pair of small practice amps that I can keep in the house. I intend on using them to practice and to teach my wife to play bass.

Volume is irrelevant. I am also not super concerned about the price. The two things that are important to me are small size and good tone.

I would like to stay away from 12s, unless the amp is one heck of a small 12. 15s are a definate nono.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few...

Ampeg BA110

SWR Workingman 10

Carvin PB100-10

I had a Fender Bassman25 before.

I believe these would all sound good. But I wonder if I can find something that will be even smaller, without losing tone.
  2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    SWR Workingman's 10. It won't play loud but has real nice tone and small size. Also has good features: Effects loop w/ variable input, aural enhancer, headphone jack, tweeter on/off, etc.
  3. So Far,the best "practice" amp I've came across is the WM-12....Oh my God...that thing is sweet.
  4. How about a Genz Benz ML200-112T. I have the 2x10 model which is awesome.
  5. thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    Since you're not real concerned about price - how bout an Acme Low B-1 with a head. I've thought a time or two about getting one to go with my PB-200 for low volume (dB SPL), small volume(ft^3) gigs.
  6. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Never played one but a lot of people like the GK MB150S-112

US$720 at Musicians Fiend

You might want to look at their Back Line combos as well.
  7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i would say go with the ampeg. my buddy has one and they sound real nice, and get pretty loud for 30 watts. i played a gig with it once. he runs it with an MIA jazz, and the tone is really nice. The fender is always good, too. also, i believe BASSnSAX has a WM-10 used for 200 bucks, that sounds like a deal.
  8. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I have a Workingman's 10 with the 1x10 extension. Alone, it sounds great. With the extension, it really starts to sound sweet, nice tone and punch. I liked the tone so much, I had to get a Super Redhead for gigging. The Ampeg small amps are nice but they never got loud enough for me, even at home. The small Fender with the kickback design sounds louder than it should. I would go with the SWR, it can be your small and medium rig if you add another 10 or bigger extension. You can be ready to jam with case in one hand, WM10 in the other.

9. I'll also plug for Ashdown! Mainly because my practise amp is and Ashdown, and I've just mover from a Trace Elliot rig to and Ahsdown rig (well, my move will be complete tomorrow when I get my ABM 500 head!

My practise amp is one of the Electric Blue Series - mine is the one with the 15" speaker - but as you've ruled them out might I suggest that you have a nosey at their 12" speaker or their 2 x 10" version!:)
  10. dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    As you want two practice amps, how about two Acme B1s, a lightweight stereo power amp (such as a QSC PLX) and either a stereo preamp (such as the Alembic F2B) or a micro mixer.

When you and your wife are playing you can each play through your own channel of the power amp, plus you'll have a very versatile setup capable of being used as small PA (order the B1s with stand mounts) or you can stack the B1s for a meatier bass rig if needed.
  11. ive got a laney hcm 60b quit good tone not sure if its a 10" or 12" though..
  12. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
  13. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have three practice amps currently and have had a few others over the years. Two are pawnshop no-names. Just perfect little beater/experimenting amps.

My GK MB150 is a great little amp. Sounds good and is VERY small and light. THe SWR redhead or Workman combos are very nice as well.

I will have to look into that "perfect 10" amp. Seems like a great deal.
  14. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am going to start checking on some of these amps and will write back, perhaps with a new toy. ;)
  15. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've tried the littl 10 inchers, & just didn't get a warm & fuzzy from any of them. I DO like the Ampeg BA115, however. It's not overly huge or anything, so it should probably fit your definition of a practice amp...
  16. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks Hack, but I do have a combo amp of that size presently. I have gear for gigging. What I need now is something not much bigger than a lunch box, that sounds great, it does not need to be loud, and it should be unobtrusive in my living room.
  17. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
  18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    thou I've not tried one... just the brand. I'd look at the Ashdown 'After Eight'
  19. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
  20. tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    i've never even heard an Ashdown amp :( but i love their look.

i've always liked the tone and size of the Fender Bassman 25 but not really the price.