1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best small rack case for Mesa M6 Carbine?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Sep 24, 2008.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'm very interested in the Carbine, and will probably try one out sometime this week or next week if I can find one locally.

However, I'm wondering about the optional vinyl rack case for the Carbine. From what I've read, it costs $150. :eek: Does it have a handle on the side or anywhere else? I can't tell from the pics on the website. Is it a quality rack case?

Alternatively, does anyone have recommendations for other small lightweight 2-space rack cases or bags?

Thanks!

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    If you're looking for a rack case, check out www.audiopile.net.

I have my Carbine racked in one of their 3 space racks (needed a space for a rack tuner), and it works great. I've owned a few different EWI cases in the past, and they really are great racks, especially for the price.

3. BartmanPDX

Thanks for the link, Ryan.

I bought one of the OSP cases for my Brunetti, and it looks to be about the same price/quality as the EWI ones. Very good deal to be sure. They do add a fair bit of weight though -- I'd like to keep the weight on the rack/head down to 40 lbs. if I could. The Effect depth cases from SKB seem to be too shallow -- only 10 1/2" where the depth of the Carbine is 12", but the lightweight Gator poly cases would work, and would be considerably lighter. They're so slippery though.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, I kinda missed the "light" part of the original post.:)

The EWI's are probably made by the same maker as the OSP that you have---they certainly look about the same. But yeah, they do add a bit of weight.

5. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Hey Bart
    I'm very happy with my Gator Shallow cases. It should house the M6 fine at 12.5" deep. Note: I have all my amps in these shallow cases. When I had a DB750 it fit nicely, but did hang out the back some. The shallow case's handle is placed in a perfectly 'balanced' and ergo position because it's more to the center of the amp.

Please report back your findings as I just got an AE410 and I'm interested too. If it's too close to say my B1500 than I'll stick with what I have, I don't mind the extra weight.

6. I've found the standard SKB 2 space rack is the top of the heap for lightweight racks for these standard sized 10"+ deep 2 space moderate weight heads (Mesa600, Aguilar500, etc.).

Unlike the Gator, the rack lid clasps are on the lid versus the rack case itself, so no rattling and buzzing when playing. The 2 space SKB is very compact (the 3+ space models are a bigger, heavier duty design), and there is plenty of space behind the amp for cables, extension cords and the power cord (very nice if you don't want to carry an extra 'gig bag' or totally cram your bass bag pocket with that stuff).

Highly recommended. I think they are about $125 or so.

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My m-pulse 600 lives in a 2-space SKB, and I think it is the perfect case. It has a little strap handle on each side that makes it perfect for one-handed carry, and also allows 2-hand carry if necessary.

8. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Just say no to Gator, IMO. Latches rattle on the case. The molded plastic is much flimsier than SKB, and they just feel like they are of much lower quality. I actually prefer the SKB X cases over Gator if I had to choose, but the standard SKB's are the best.

9. BartmanPDX

Thanks for the info!

I'll look into the SKB case. I still haven't heard if the official Mesa head case for the Carbine has a handle on the side. Can't tell from the pics, and it's not in Tom's great review in Bass Gear. Maybe they'll have one down at the store.

SKB cases have always seemed more solid to me than the Gator cases, though I did get a nice light ATA case from Gator which I was able to create a foam custom cutout for one of my Reverends. It's pretty solid for my uses.

10. The problem with those Mesa head cases is that they don't provide any protection for the front of the amp, and don't have a rear 'lid' either, for storing cables, etc. They look cool, but are rather non-functional IMO and IME.

+1 to the ATA Gators and their rack bags... nice stuff. The lightweight racks do not really compare to the SKB though, IMO.

11. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    My Gator cases are just fine. Plenty durable for my use.
    I will admit they are not as robust as the SKB standard cases, but built very well IMO/IME. NO problems what so ever. I will agree the latches are mounted sorta backwards and should be on the lids not the case, but none of the four cases I own ever rattled or cause me grief.

I went with the Gator because they had a decent shallow rack and I mentioned why in my previous post. It really doesn't matter with the super light amps but my B1500 and former DB750 it made a big difference in the balance. I just didn't like all that extra room in the standard SKB's. An no offense the the SKB X cases, but IMO they are about thee most 'clunky' designed cases I've seen with those cheezy thin plastic back panels and that huge front molded flange. What ever. :cool:

* Clunky - Taken from the old show 'Leave it to Beaver' (in black and white yet)
    Meaning generally bulky, clumsy... you get it.