Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best small rig or combo for $1000.00 or less

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowfalls, Dec 29, 2005.

1. lowfalls

lowfalls

Jul 23, 2003
    South Carolina
    Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy a small head/cab or combo amp for $1000 or less and need advice. I've played a lot of different styles for 25+/- yrs. This would be a second rig to be used about 6-8 times a month for society gigs and left in road case in the truck. I play a Fender lite with Lindy Fralins and I also play an upright bass with a realist pu.

I enjoy the forum here and I apologize if I've ask a question that's been answered before but I don't have much time to sort because I'm at work.

Thanks in advance

2. For that price point, a lot of the really cool small stuff (Epifani, Acoustic Image, Bergantino, Walter Woods, etc.) is out of range. I think the smaller Markbass combo's might be at that price point, but I don't think they have US distribution yet.

However, a really light, portable, incredible small amp that sounds reasonably good for electric and quite good for upright is the GK150 Microcombo. It's not a lot bigger than a major city phone book, weighs under 30 pounds and puts out 100 watts at 8ohms into the internal 12" speaker. It of course, doesn't give you a ton of lows or sizzly highs (which is a good thing for DB), but will put out enough volume of a small to medium Society Type gig.

The model with the chorus, etc. is more expensive and really doesn't give you much more than the basic model.

3. cdb

cdb

Jan 12, 2004
    phila, pa area
    +1 for the GK MB150. Great tone in a 26 lb package. Actually a great range of tones in a small amp, and perfect for "society" gigs. Pair it with a small cab for better lows. I use a GB115 as a cab and it delivers good lows.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    swr super redhead
    swr baby blue 2x8
    ampeg b100r
    ampeg b15r

you might want to ask this in the db forum as well...

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Eden has a couple that would fit I think, also check their Nemesis line, that's well within your budget. There are many others though.

6. The Nemisis stuff sound good and would probably fit the bill. The SWR Basic Black is nice... but heavy and not voiced at all for upright IMO.

7. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
  8. +1 on the Scout. It's over the budget by a couple of hundred, I think. I also found the fan noise a little much for small, quiet jazz-type society gigs though, but I understand they've reduced the fan noise somewhat in the most recent models. A little heavy, but great quality and very 'tubey' sounding.

9. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Yea, the Scout is over the budget new, but can be easily had for $900 used. Also, I modded my fan to a quieter one, now I'm in heaven!

Jason

10. Cool on the fan mod... that was really the only negative to that amp... wonderful sounding combo.

11. I got my Eden CXC-110 combo & CX-110 extension cab from BassNW. It came in very close to your budget, if not just below. Love those guys, LOOOOVE the rig. For more depth & apparent volume, though, I wonder if an Avatar or similar 1x12(rather than the 1x10)would work well or better.

12. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I think that Vics mod is better than mine actually. I would follow his lead. I just stuck in another lower CFM computer fan and took my luck. I run it at 2 ohms regularly and it hasn't shut down once. Here's hoping it stays that way!

Jason

13. lowfalls

lowfalls

Jul 23, 2003
    South Carolina
    Thanks to everyone, Great sounding stuff.

My regular rig is th gk150 with an aguilar gs112 xtention cab and that sounds great but I don't think that I want to have the exact same for my second rig. I've been following the ebay amps and there is a company (Warpdrive music, I think) that is selling the Eden dc210xlt metro combo amp (Demo or B stock) for $999.00. What do you think about the amp for my purpose and what do you know about this kinda deal. I'm a little skeptical but should I be?

14. Nice sounding combo... weighs A TON!

Have you considered using the money to get a head with more watts to drive the AG112.... Thunderfunk, Eden550 or 405, Ag500, AI Focus, EAiAmp500, etc.?

15. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That's an Excellent combo, 500watts. Like he says it's heavy, but you can do anything you want w/ it.

16. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Where's the cheapest price for a walkabout scout? I'd love to have the portability and power for college...

17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You might think about the Carvin BRX212, for about $800 IIRC. Kind of their take on a Walkabout, in a way, but with more rated power.

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 on the SWR Baby Blue II. This combo gets only moderately loud, but it really sounds great, and seems to have a good voice for upright.

I like the Walkabout Scout combo a lot, too, but I'm not sure how well it would sound on upright.

The Phil Jones Briefcase is very small, but VERY heavy for its size. It also moves only a finite amount of air, but does get louder than you might think, and sounds great to my ears.

The EA combos are well worth looking into, as well, and function well on upright as well as electric.

But yes, a small head and companion cab would open up a whole range of possibilities.

Tom.

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Sorry, I am not allowed to tell you.

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    LOL! How about just a "look to the hat!" :D