1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best, smallest combo < 35 lbs that can project true bass freq at house jam volume (congas)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lomo, Nov 12, 2019.

1. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I will be going out and playing the usual suspects, but am curious to hear the TB experience/opinion/banter on this 1st :) The only combos I have owned recently are the Walkabout (which I love, but is too bulky and heavy ) and PJB Double 4 (pleasing mids but no legit content below about 80 Hz when volume is up-great for travel with superb fit and finish but otherwise uninspiring IME/IMO).

Price is not a significant issue. Weight must be < 35 lbs. Size is somewhat of an issue (smaller is better). The unit must have an aux in feature for practice. I am looking for a combo that'll truly project lows in the 45-150 Hz range when jamming for fun with a couple of electric guitars wielded by responsible adults in the context of a house party....no "real" drums. I already have ample gear for louder situations (Audiokinesis Hathor 12 and 15 boxes) and heads with plenty of power for when the situation calls for that. The usual suspects I favor are 110 and 112 offerings by Fender, Peavey, Traynor and EBS. I do not want a small mid machine. If you have personal experience with any of the above, or the Phil Jones newest mini box with a 7" driver or his latest 4x5" combo , I'd love to hear your thoughts.

ToneMonkey likes this.
  2. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Fender Rumble 100 should fit the bill nicely.

MCF, Babydave, downunder and 12 others like this.
  3. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I will definitely be checking out the Rumbles 100 and 150....do you have any experience with EBS orthe other brands to compare lows?

AlexanderB likes this.
  4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Genzler MG350 112
    Magellan 350 MG12T-V COMBO - Genzler Amplification
    I have used this with a "real" drummer, vibes and guitar for jazz quartet, inside AND outside. It is a fantastic combo, easy to carry (27 lbs) and handles my Roscoe's low B just fine. Can't say enough about the product and the company.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    MCF, DJ Bebop, 74hc and 9 others like this.
  5. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    GK MB112-II might work.

Al Kraft, MCF, Warpeg and 11 others like this.
  6. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Thanks for the input. I just sold a pair of Genzler 10-2 array cabs. I loved the form factor, weight, finish and company, but 1 of those boxes alone didn't produce enough lows for my taste. My Hathor 1203 isn't tuned particularly low, but
    next to it, at the same low volume, a single 10-2 didn't satisfy. I think the 10-2 cabs would be amazing for many applications, especially upright, but I am looking for something with more low end grunt, even at low to moderate volume.

7. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    The Rumble 150 is a now-discontinued older design that is a decent, but not superb combo.
    The new series Rumble 100 or Rumble 500 are both superb amps - the best-of-the-pack at their respective price points.

8. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The Rumble 150 is discontinued, so you’ll have to check out the used market for that. Traynor and Peavey are thin on the ground in my neck of the woods, so I don’t know much about them. I have some experience with larger EBS rigs, but don’t know how it translates to the smaller combos, though I do find the EBS tone a little sterile myself, but YMM, as always, V.

AlexanderB and lomo like this.
  9. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Yes-my bad on the Rumble "150"....I see the new 112 is 100 watts and the 110 is 40 watts......the Fender boxes are crazy light, if they are tuned lowish they'll be tough to beat. I have played the Traynor 112 and liked it with minor quibbles (harsh, albeit defeatable tweeter and the dreaded rat fur covering), but I didn't do a side by side comparison with anything else at the time.

10. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    The Rumble 100 is a wonderful, ballsy sounding amp at a great price.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  11. I use a Rumble 100, it’s a great amp. The only amp I’ve considered replacing it with is a MB 112.

the Rumble keeps up with cajon, Marshall 12” tube combo, and PA . I Only use a line out on 50% of gigs. It’s bassy- if anything too bassy! I usually cut bass to 9:00, sounds great that way.

the appeal of the GK is clarity, and headroom- but I’ve been very happy with the Rumble, no rush to replace it.

El Güero and lomo like this.
  12. TOflybass06

TOflybass06

Jan 3, 2019
    I have a Traynor SB115 which I purchased in February. It has become my main gigging amp for 80% of my gigs. around 31 lbs, 200 watts and a 15 inch speaker. I did have to play around a bit to get my sound. The SB115 is plenty loud for its size.

4-fingers, srayb, jtrom and 4 others like this.
  13. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    Quilter BassDock 10 and BB800 will do it. Amp doesn't have a aux in, though.

Or the Acoustic Image Doubleshot.

TBH, I don't think you're going to get the low end you're looking for out of a small, budget Fender or Peavey combo.

14. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    You must be either joking or misinformed if you are characterizing the Rumble 100 this way: the Rumble 100 has a VERY strong low end.

15. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    I'm sure the Rumble works for many people, and may even be a good fit for the OP. But his reference cab is a Hather 1203 which is a pretty high bar. Despite the situation being without drums, when things get rowdy I would not want to be limited to a 100 watt combo, even a "good" one. JMO.

16. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The Hathor isn't tuned all that low....not as low as a Greenboy cab or Barefaced 12 IME....but it's does have meaningful content below 60Hz and it gets crazy loud for such an easy haul and remains musical throughout. Although I want those lows, I don't need nearly the same volume or power handling......any box tuned/ ported appropriately should work, even with a single, smallish driver.

UnderTheRadar likes this.
  17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Fender 800c.
    39lbs, 800 watts, cab sims.

Whatever rig you end up with, add an adjustable HPF to your signal chain for speaker protection, to cut the mud and get better dispersion. Also put it up on a stand or add a tilt back pad so it points at your ears to better control your tone. See my TB Wiki for more HPF info.

Cardsfan_69 likes this.
  18. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    To the OP: here's a good demo of the Rumble 100. Bassist is using a 5 string, which gives a good indication of how low the amp will go without farting out. And it has both an XLR line out and a headphone jack for bedroom practice - a big plus.

lomo likes this.
  19. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I owned the original EBS Classic Session 60 combo amp for a while. (There is now a second generation, with the same name.)
    Compared to the Fender Rumble 100, the Session 60 has a much more "cube shaped" form factor and is alot heavier. It uses a sturdier cab and has (as far as I know) a conventional transformer and a class A/B output section.
    Preamp is flatter voiced (works fine with acoustic guitar!), has an innovative eq and a better aux function with full stereo, separate gain control and good headphone amp. The session amps also has a DI placed UPSTREAM of the master volume, instead of the stupid Rumble design where effect loop and line out are POST master volume.

That said, for some bassists, the Rumble might be more tempting. It is lighter, has a 12" instead of a 10", has a faliliar voicing and has simpler controls.
    For me, the greater flexibility and more though through design makes the EBS a better option.

Please note that the current generation Session 60 is lighter than the first, and supposedly louder, too.

lomo likes this.
  20. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    The video will NOT reveal how the speaker sounds, or if it might fart out! At 100 seconds, he clearly says "we are going direct from XLR to ProTools".