Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best, smallest parametric EQ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by David Wilson, Feb 3, 2003.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'd like to hear any recommendations / warnings for non-rack / half rack parametric EQ units. The smaller the better!

I've been trying out the Carl Martin 3 band model, which is cool. Info page on carlmartinusa.com

However, I'd like to know what else is out there before committing. I see plenty of parametric rack units, but not too many that could fit on / next to a pedalboard.

The Carl Martin is 5" D * 4" W * 3"H, which is pretty small. I've heard nothing but great things about the Raven Labs True Blue, but I'm not sure of it's dimensions.

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Raven-Labs True Blue EQ. This the best out there for bass for small $$$. It is less that a half-rack wide and slightly higher that a rack-space. (Kinda wierd, I know.)

3. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Before I started using a preamp with a parametric EQ I used a Boss PQ-3B Bass Parametric EQ pedal. It had 3 parametric bands with frequency and levels for each. I liked the low band on the pedal since it could be adjusted to boost the 30Hz frequency of a low B. It is the only EQ pedal I had seen at that point that had a frequency boost down at the 30hz band.

You can typcially find the pedal used on www.musicgoround.com for around $50-$60.
    Try a search for Boss PQ or Boss Bass.

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've been reading reviews of this, and it sounds awesome. I read this snippet from one review at the Dudepit:
    Also:
    Bfunk, how well does this work in practice? So you boost, say, +10db @ 40hz. It keeps the overall level the same? If true, that's amazing and I simply must get one in a few weeks time, soon as that pesky bonus check arrives.

5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I wouldn't really say that. I think that the effect is more subtle than other eq because of it's design. If you look at the specs, you will see that you can boost the signal of a band up to 15 dB. However the max overall gain is 6 dB. Weird, but this makes sense when you look at the design:

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    BFunk, I'll check one of these out in a bit and report back...

And redneck2wild, I'll keep an eye out for a PQ-3B and see if I can score one cheap. I'm not the biggest Boss fan, apart from the TU-2 tuner and V-Wah, but I'll try it out if I can.

Thanks!