Best solid state head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowendpurveyor, Apr 18, 2005.

1. I'm in the market for a new solid state bass head or combo? I've played the Gallien Krueger and Fender amps and have been impressed. What would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance.
  2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I wouldn't say there is a best. And the question is too general. What sound are you going for? Budget? Volume needed?

I'm looking at getting a Thunderfunk btw. Nice SS amp.
  3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Check out Walter Woods, Epifani, Thunderfunk, and the EA iAmp's.

Or for SS preamp + SS power amp:
    Millennia, Epifani, Raven Labs, BBE BMax -- pres';
    Crown MA series, Crest CA or Pro 200 series, Stewart World series, QSC whatever -- power amps.
  4. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Alot of people will agree that the Kustom groove 1200 Is up there. Its one of the best amps you can buy for the the price.
  5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I agree with this. I'm a tube guy, but I really was impressed with this head, and the amount of power you can get out of it for the money.
  6. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    little off topic but since youre a tube guy id like to know your opinion on the kustom head. would you say its pretty warm sounding for a solid state head?
  7. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Power? Budget? Portability? 1-12? 2-10? 1-15? Jazz? Metal? Stadiums? bedroom? 2 ohm Stable?

There aren't many brands that don't make good reliable gear. A lot depends on your budget, your sound and your ears. Once you have nailed down your budget and needs, and have narrowed the choices to a few models, then search the TB reviews, Harmony Central reviews and reviews as well as doing a search on the TB threads.

Leaving it as an open question will have everyone write in and tell you that there amp is the best one out there. And by all means, listen with your ears.

Good luck.
  8. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    sounds good, 4 pounds, plenty of power, not cheap but in the same range as most 600W medium+ class heads, like mesa, EA, Eden, SWR etc. but much lighter weight. Not in the same power category as the high end Woods heads, but 1/2 the price.

Found it very reliable so far after 1/2 dozen gigs.

9. Yorkville Xs series...400 or 800 watt heads...CAN NOT be beat for value.
  10. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I too am a tube guy but to tell the truth, My Aguilar AG500 sounds better in a live band setting than any of my tube gear.........easily. It seems to sound great through almost any cab and can be tuned to crappy or great sounding rooms. It's one of those real world workhorse pieces of gear that just work. Alot of the snob stuff doesn't always do that. Thats not saying much for the expensive stuff now is it. ;) I leave the really expensive gear at home and let the Aggy take care of buisness where it counts!
  11. +1
  12. coldtrain

Aug 19, 2004
    Middleburg, VA
    Ashdown MK500 -- 500W, all analog, and pretty warm. Lots o' headroom. The graphic EQ is nice too. Built like a tank...
  13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Oops; I forgot the AI Focus.
  14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd give a nod to the Aguilar AG-500, though I'd go with the -SC version.
  15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'm using an Ashdown Evo-II, 575 watts, and it is fairly warm for a Tube/SS hybrid. It has tons of neat controls and is very versitle. Its also real loud, but if you need more there is a biamp 575X2 head they make.
  16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What he said... :D
  17. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Add Glockenklang to the list of makers above.
  18. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Yes, I would. I found that it had a pretty solid range of tones, from bright and snappy to warm and deep. I'd definitely recommend trying it first, but I was pleasantly impressed.
  19. Maybe I should have rephrased my question. I am basically looking for some recommendations for solid state heads. I'm not looking for "boutique" or high end amps, just general good all round solid state amps that you could find in any store. Thanks.
  20. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Glockenklang BassArt Classic