Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best solution for my situation? Thinking about Ashdown, need opinions!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ENTiTY, Jun 3, 2005.

1. ENTiTY

ENTiTY

May 2, 2004
    Finland
    Hello everyone!

My gear expertice is limited mainly on what I've been reading from forums and internet overall. Reason for this is the location where I live (Europe, Finland). So this pretty much cuts my changes to try out different stores. Also my knoledge is rather narrow considering amps. For a while, I've been trying to find myself a reasonable deal with a pretty tight budget and this is what I have in mind:

MAG C210T-300 Combo + MAG 115 Deep Cabinet
    for 800 € + shipment and other stuff.
    (I do need a speak-on cable, right?)

I wonder if this fits with my situation as following? I'm playing in a metal/hard rock band with two guitar players and a drummer. We are planning to do some smaller scale gigs, but currently just playing among ourselves. So far I've been using 60 W 12" combo, but I'll have to pretty much keep it at max volumes to hear myself. I guess the power would be enough, but what about the sound. Is it versatile enough for this type of music? Altough I'm not too picky with my sound, and it doesn't necessarily need to be a ordinary hardcore bass sound that I'm getting out of it.

I'd like to hear your take on my plans considering my situation. Also tips/notes about the amp/cab are more than welcome.

2. ENTiTY

ENTiTY

May 2, 2004
    Finland
    I really need some backup here. Also tips to increase attention value wouldn't hurt (bad title, too long message?). I've got 0 replies so far. This might seem like a useless thread for others, but for me this would have been invaluable information what I hoped to get out of this.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've no ideas about prices but the Ashdown rig you describe should work well for the application you've got in mind. Did you have any other setups in mind that are available and in your price range? If you can suggest a couple more options you might stir up some more responses!

Wulf

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The setup you're talking about should work pretty well for what you're planning.

I use Ashdown gear - have an Electric Blue 130 combo (small portable and loud), and an ABM 500 EVO head with Mini48 and Mini15 cabs (bigger, a little less portable, and louder!!!!!). Ashdown sound good to me and I use it mostly for heavy rock/metal.

Must admit I've never tried the MAG series though, and have heard that they suffered some reliability issues - my Electric Blue combo is actually my second, the first died after about 1 week (more distortion than sound!!!!).

Happy amp hunting! :bassist:

5. If you have the chance you might want to try a 410 cab instead of a 115

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    That setup sounds like it would be great. I use the MAG stuff and if you have any more specific questions just post here or PM me.

The MAG combos only have 1/4" speaker outs, and the cabs have one 1/4" and one speakon. So a speakon-speakon cable wouldnt work, you want 1/4"-1/4" or 1/4"-speakon.

You might also want to PM bassicinstinct, he uses the exact rig you describe. Hes a cool guy, helped me with a few questions when I was thinking about Ashdown.

7. ENTiTY

ENTiTY

May 2, 2004
    Finland
    Alrighty! Now I'm getting somewhere with this. Thanks for the responses.

As I mentioned, I can't try before buy so I purely have to rely on other people's experiences and specs. It's a poor situation, but theres not much to do about it. The reason I didn't have any options to bring out was that Ashdown seemed to be the only one that had low cost, light weight (I'm a thin guy) and performance in one package. I just really hope that they last.

@i_got_a_mohawk - 4x10 is more expencive, also it's heavier.

@Jack - I'll keep that in mind. I guess some questions will arise later on. So 1/4", I'll be sure to add that to the order.

8. Its heavier and more expensive, but i persoanlly think it sounds ALOT better, but i know alot of people also prefer 115's , they are pretty different sounding

9. I have an older Mag 200 1x15 combo. It is usually loud enough for me, but I am old and play small venues for people who are 50 to 70 years old. If I need more volume I borrow an Aguilar 2x10 cab from a friend for an extention. I think a new Mag 300 combo with an extention cab would be excellent. I don't play punk, ska or metal, but would a 2x10 combo with a 2x10 extention cab be more suitable for your type of music?

10. ENTiTY

ENTiTY

May 2, 2004
    Finland
    Well, I really can't say cause I'm not the expert. Though I play 5 stringer and I really would like to get a deep low sound out of it too. On the other hand I'm not able to say if I could get it with that setup also. If considering that as an option, I could condsider 4x10 without extensions as a second one?

11. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    The Ashdown 410s and 210s dont go very deep at all.

I think if your usng a four, its a matter of personal preference, but for a 5 with Ashdown you really need the 115 for a big bottom.

Of course, YMMV.

12. ENTiTY

ENTiTY

May 2, 2004
    Finland
    Okay, this makes the choise easier then.