Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best songs without a bass line

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blazer, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    You know, bands like The Blues explosion, The Yeah, Yeah, yeahs, the black keys and of course the white stripes are making quite a stirr of playing without a bassplayer (although Jack White of the White stripes DOES use an octaver to provide the low end on their records)

But let's not forget that there are likable bass-less songs out there too.

"When doves cry"and "kiss" of Prince are songs without a bassline but they still groove with a capital G.

Or what do you think of "I can't dance" By Genesis?

2. I personally feel that a lot of songs without bass are great but I am a big fan of piano songs. Beth by Kiss would come to mind as my favorite song without a bassline.

3. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Well that's one look at the subject I hadn't thought about.

But if we're going that way I have to add "Max" of Paolo Conté to the list. That song just gives me the goose bumps.

Or "Beautiful Freak" by the Eels, so chillingly beautiful. Played on a Wurlitzer piano and on a Harmonium.

Or "Yesterday" by the Beatles. That song moves me to tears.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Oh Injury by Rasputina.

Also; Rats, Saline the Salt Lake Queen, and many others.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Lovers" by Les Paul

6. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    :scowl: PURE BLASHPEMY!!!!!!!!!!

j/k

IMO, songs may not have a bass player, though minimal as it may be, often do have a bassline.

For me, music without a bass "instrument' or line is only good for either meditating or falling asleep. :eyebrow: :p

.........must...........have................bass :bassist: :D

7. Mellem

Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    Yeah, all of those piano songs still have "basslines"; there were bass lines before there were bass guitars.

I think anything by Nick Drake qualifies as great and without a "bassline", persay.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There's very little to no bass work on all of the Sleater-Kinney albums, and they're one of my favorite bands.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Off the top of my head, because I heard it today: Baby Gotterdamerung by Monster Magnet.