1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best sound??

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by aqsw, Sep 30, 2010.

1. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    When paying a DB, will it sound better with positive force on the strings,or light force and let the pick-up, amp, cabinet, or PA do their jobs?

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

2. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Nov 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    Dig in!

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Oh boy! It depends what you mean by letting the pickup and amp do their jobs. For me, the pickup and amp are necessary evils. It is the acoustic, unamplified sound that I have worked to develop. The pickup and amp are there to reinforce that acoustic sound in situations where they are required. That's how I see what are their jobs.

Alternatively, some players prefer the extreme form of what you are suggesting. Their idea of the job of the amplifying rig is to provide virtually all of the relevant acoustic power while they lightly pizz. what are usually strings set very low to the fingerboard. It's a style of play to be sure but not one to which I aspire and not one that I find pleasing. IMO, it transforms the double-bass into a vertically held wooden bass guitar. In my book, that ain't playing the instrument!

IMO, IME, FWIW, my $0.02, YMMV. :)

4. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    Agree to both. Get the wood moving!!!

5. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    What kind of tone are you looking for?

6. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    I am not bassist, but my daughter is(senior at u of manitoba-performance) She pounds the strings pretty hard, and her proffessor (Steve Kirby) loves her style. There is another DBer there that is probably better than her when it comes to DB, but he plays "light". She kills him on the EB though. She plays the DB in the "elite" u of m jazz band, because I think she pounds the strings.(Steve likes that, because he does too). I know everybody hates MUSTANG SALLY but she does this gig about three times a month, and it pays real good!!!

7. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    All tones!!
    She absolutely lives for Jazz, but she plays country, rock, classic, whatever pays!!

Heres one at the Winnipeg Jazz festival, although you can't see her too good, but just close your eyes!!

8. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    So, uh, she's an accomplished player, her teacher is happy with her style and progress, and you're here to ask us how it's "better" for her to play?

:confused:

9. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    read the original post!!
    I never asked what was better for "her" to play.
    I asked a question for DB players, what they thought??(hard or soft)

If she plays lighter, would more bands want her DB abilities??
    What sounds better????

10. It's all a matter of style: lighter is better for some styles, digging right in is better for some.

So, the best plan is to be able to do whatever works for what you're playing, without injuring yourself (at least with DB you don't really have to worry about breaking your gear). That way you get the most choice of gigs.

11. Why did you post this in the Basses Forum?

12. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    Isn't this the db forum???:confused:

13. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    I read the original post! I also read your other posts. Can we stop yelling now? :) You did, in fact ask exactly that:

Hmm.. you are, in fact, asking about what style of play folks here think might benefit your daughter (see the bolded text). Nothing wrong with asking the question. I'm simply trying to figure out why you are asking here on her behalf rather than asking her teachers or having her ask them. Better yet, your daughter might know the answer in terms of what she wants.

The truth is that there is no simple answer. You are asking about diverse playing styles. Most of us don't adopt a style of play or switch styles of play on the basis of what might yield more gigs. There are groups that appreciate all different styles of play. It seems that your daughter, with the guidance of her teachers, has adopted a style. She'll play in groups that appreciate her style. So, the answer to your original question concerning which of two very different styles will "sound better" is, of course, not absolute. It depends on what the player desires. Opinions will run the gamut. Again, your daughter has a style with which she has advanced. I don't recommend that she change it unless, for some reason, her teachers perceive that there is a problem with her playing. That doesn't seem to be the case.

All of this said, as Andrew points out, players do and should vary their approaches on the basis of what's called for by the musical situation. That's a narrow range of variation compared to the contrast you drew in your original post.

Finally, the reason PW asked why you posted under Basses is because this forum is about the instruments, per se. There are others devoted to technique, playing style, and amplification.

14. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    Thanks Andew,

Change to the style(IS GOOD)

15. Take a look at the different forums under the main DB Forum Menu. This is where we talk about Basses, not talented daughters. :D

16. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    You're missing a big part of the point. Take a look at my edited post #13. Players who play in the "lighter" style to which you alluded and seems to describe the style of the other player you spoke of, typically have a very different setup to the instrument than those who play with a more percussive style. It's a bit more complex than you think.

17. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    Fair enough,
    She gets a little confused when the country band wants her to tone it down, and the jazz band wants her to play normal, and the funk band wants her to turn it up.. But you are right, they all still want her to play.

18. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Inactive

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    +1000!!

19. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    I was talking about sound from double basses!! (hard or soft)
    I think you have it wrong!! READ THE OP

20. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Paul has it exactly right.