Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best sounding 12 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndyGL, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Aguilar

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Bag End

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Bergantino

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  4. EA

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. Epifani

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  6. Other

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Opinion on overall best sounding 112 cab

Aguilar
    Bag End
    Bergantino
    EA
    Epifani
    Other

2. For?

3. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    For Electric Bass Guitar

Overall sound from Jazz to Rock.

As a stand alone cab.

Price and weight not a consideration¬Ö. Just sound

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I love the EA. I know specs don't tell the whole story, but these specs are hard to beat esp. the spl and db output.
    Specifications:
    Crossover: 1.9KHz
    Coaxial Woofer: 1 - 12"
    Tweeter: 1 - 2" compression driver
    Impedance: 8 ohm
    Power Handling: 350W
    Response -Low: 38Hz
    Response - High: 14KHz
    Sensitivity: 103dB
    Height: 19"
    Width: 17"
    Depth: 15"
    Sound Pressure Level:
    (with 350w @ 1M) 128dB
    Weight: 49lbs

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Bass Player Magazine recently did a review of all the 1x12 bass cabs, and I believe the Aguilar took the top marks . . .

6. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I have an Aguilar GS112 and a EA CXL112. I've had the aggie for about a year. It's a sweet cab with a scooped sound and great bass response for such a small thing. I always find myself boosting the mids a lot in any kind of dense mix. It is loud but just slightly lacking in volume for my loudest band- a six piece R&B/funk band with a loud drummer. The band is loud but its not a rock band. The GS112 works but I do get asked to turn it up.
    I just got the EA cab about a week ago. I haven't had a chance to use this cab with my loud band yet. In a bedroom A/B comparison the EA sounded much louder with more pronounced, but smooth, mids. I actually preferred the aggies sweet sound in my bedroom. In a band situation I think the EA is going to work better though with its extra volume and more mids. I really want one small cab that will cut it in my loudest band and so far I think the EA is it. I will bring it to rehearsal next week and see how it does.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Epifani...

if i didnt mind the weight, i woulda picked it up over my lubby Bergie.

the Epi seems to handle the LowB waaaaay better than the Bergie or the 'so-called' "Best Tone" Aguilar. and the highs were nice and airy.

Terry B musta been smokin' a lil shumtin' shumtin'... ;)

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well as some of you know from reading my other posts i play through a bag end 112 and an aggie 112
    the aggie has great highs and lows but is mid shy
    the bagend is a mid range monster
    i find these two cabs sound good together
    for just one cab i'd give the epi top marks..............
    the bergie is pretty awesome too
    many ppl seem to prfer a combo of brands when using two 112 cabs, but many stick with the same one

9. Bass Player Mag goes in the high weeds. The EA is the hands down winner here. I've tried them all - nothing comes close.

10. The EA sounds too thin and/or brittle to me... don't shoot me, but it's how I felt about the sound.

I really like the Aggie and the Bergie... haven't had a chance to try an Epifani or Bag End yet.

God Bless and have a Merry CHRISTmas.

11. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I bought (and have since sold) the Ag 112 and played through the Epi, the EA, and the Bergie all at Bass Central last January. I was using both a lakland 5594 and a Modulus Q 5, with a GK 1000 RB (older model, no tweeter amp). Granted I was looking for another cab to add to my EA208's either as a twosome or threesome, so I wanted something that didn't sound like it, rather complimented it.

EA-loud, didn't like how it sounded, middy, didn't have a ton of bottom response, didn't like it as a stand alone or an addition to what I already had.

AG-had quite the ooomphy bottom and a pleasant top but minimal mids. Not a great stand alone cabinet compared to the EA208's I owned which have a completely balanced tone but are a little low shy. The Ag complimented the the EA208's perfectly.

Bergie-excellent stand alone, sweet tone but both volume and bottom shy. Needs a second cabinet. I liked it for what it was...I just didn't need another sweet sounding cabinet...I already had two.

Epifani-nice stand alone, a little more juicy bottom end than the Bergie and a little more volume. Didn't project nearly the bottom as the Aguilar and cost $200+ more, so I didn't get it.

Now if I were to have a standalone but needed volume like you're saying, I can not see how a single 112 or 110 cab can do what you want. My EA208's needed a twin and sometimes a third cabinet. I would get the Aguilar and perhaps the Epifani or Bergie if I were to get two cabs. I agree the EA could be enough volume wise, but if you're not used to the mid's it may not be your cuppa tea tone wise.

A couple of small cabs with a crapload of power head will usually do the job. The Aguilar is a good base to start with, but you need another cabinet to better push the mids IMHO. Now those of us/you who like the mids a bit scooped can get two new ags for $750 or less and have a tremendous sounding rig with no need to be paying $500 for a fancy ass 112 cabinet.

I was thinking about adding an Epifani 112 to my epi 310 which I replaced 2 EA 208's and one Aguilar 112 with. I bought it used in great shape, cost me under $600. The other three together cost me $1700 weighed 135 pounds compared to 70, and frankly the one 310 sounds "better" for me. I'd get the 112 for smaller gigs.

Hope this helps, but it's again only one person's opinion, a long one at that.

L

12. Can't say that I've spent any time with the other choices, but I picked up an Epifani 112 after having an Epi 212 for a bit, and am finding the 112 more than adequate for practice and small/medium gigs, even with a 5.

Mike

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The only 112 cab that I've had the pleasure of trying is the Genz Benz GB-12T. I currently have two of those. No, they don't have the name and respectability of some of the others on your list but based on my experience with the two that I own I would certainly consider Genz Benz again if I were looking for cabs. Not sure how much weight that I would give that Bass Player review but the Live Series 112 that's in the current Benz lineup didn't fare too bad in that shootout if I'm not mistaken.

14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Used alone? Electric 5? pushing volume?

Epifani!

AJ

15. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I like my Berg 1x12s, but I use them as a pair, a little lacking in oomph when used alone. For one 1x12, I use an Epifani T-112.

16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Word

17. Well I just picked up a nice Epifani T-112 from Marcus at Larry Morgan's Music in Garland Tx. I played the Aguilar, and the Epifani. I was blown away by the Epifani. It's tone was sooooo sweet. The Aguilar just didn't sound quite as sweet, but it certainly is a killer little cab. I didn't even try the Bergie while I was there. I just knew it wouldn't put out enough lows for my needs. I guess I was being a little judgemental! :D

18. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't think you were judgemental? at all. The Bergie 112 is a sweet sounding cab but it's quite inefficient and a little bottom shy. It along with the EA IMHO needs a second cabinet to really wake it up, but awoken it's a killer little cab. I think the Epi 112 is the best combination.

Regarding EA, I was using them exclusively for 3 1/2 years. I truly wanted to get away with one cabinet and I don't feel, even their old 210 with 2 10's plus two mid drivers and a tweeter does the job for me. The combination of 2 208's sounded great but didn't push the bottom out phaaattlly. It was clean as a whistle, punchy, but not full. Almost too focused.

To me the Ag 112 is too phat as a stand alone. Again, for me only, 10's are the right sized speaker as they give a nice blend of punch/focus and enough phatness.

The epi 310 is the right cab size and weight with just enough extra oooomph. If you're an EA fan you might want to try the new ultralite speakers in an Epifani 310 which will cut the weight down to around 50 pounds....it's a little pricey but it's still a 750 watt cab down to 40ish hz.....a little more focused (slightly more mids and a little less bottom)than the traditional magnet speakers so I'm told. As I get older, I'll like switch to the ultralite speakers within the next couple of years provided there's work.

Ramble, ramble, ramble. Bottom line: All the mentioned 112's sound SOOOOOO much better with a second cabinet!!

LKaye

19. I personally love the sound of a single 112. As a matter of fact I prefer it to any other cabinet or combination of cabinets that I've tried. I was in a store and I tried that knew cabinet that Bergantino came out with with 2 10s and a 12. Then I tried just the single HT 112. I liked the 112 a lot more. There's something about a single cabinet, (especially a 112), that gives the sound more focus.

20. I agree with Jacob about how well one 12 cab sounds. Of course I've not yet tried it on a gig. I hope I can get by with just the Epifani by itself, I do have descent monitors and running a DI...so I would think that a single 12 cab would be fine for about any gig as long as your coming out of the house!! That's including outside gigs which most would have descent PA anyway. I really didn't want to get on the 12 bandwagon (cause I like 10's):D but after trying the epifani and aguilar, man it's hard to think of anything else. I can't wait to get my cab so I can try it out and prove all this I've said:eek: