Best Sounding 1x12's???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jan 24, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

what's the best 1x12 you've heard? people are telling me 2x10's are good for the upper midrange, but 1x12's are more even across the board.

i'm trying to move up from my little 1x10, but not too much since i'm looking for pure power, but just to be heard.
  2. I highly endorse the Bergantino 1x12 cab. It's the sweetest to my ears. warm lows and clear highs with no brassiness or nasal qualities
  3. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Aguilar GS112 gets my vote!:D Warm low tones and very punchy highs - adjustable horn, light and loud.
  4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    For the price, I like the SWR Workingmans 12. I think it has a great tone. It's punchy but can be dialed in to have a pretty warm sound.
  5. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I just acquired the Epifani 112. I A/B'ed it against the Aguilar 112 and while the Ag was good for it's price in comparison, I had the extra cash and preferred the Epifani. It costs more, but you can find them used at and Harmony Centra classifieds. That little thing is REALLY loud. There was an SWR 210 there that I tried as well, but it didn't come close.

My money's on the Epifani.

FWIW, there isn't a Bergantino dealer out here anywhere. So I don't know how the Berg compares to the Epifani. I've heard that Bergs are more articulate in the mids and have more bark whereas the Epifani's are more smooth. It's like a comprison of Rock to Jazz, the bergs being the rock. I'm not a rock fan anyway. Just my opinion.
  6. Wow. Three recommendations for 3 of the top 1x12s out there! I haven't had the opportunity try the Berg or the Epi but I have an Aggie GS112 and I like it enough that I'm ordering another. They are priced pretty reasonably IMO.
  7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I should have a Genz Benz 112 in about two weeks. I'll have to check back after I get a chance to try it. I'm hooked on Genz Benz! ;)
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Those look pretty interesting. 8 or 16 ohms, right?
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i've heard the EA 1x12 and thought it sounded very hifi. compared to the Aguilar GS112, it was clearer, while the Ag was more muffled. People have told me, the EA's record well, but get lost in the mix of live performance. whereas the Ag's excel in live situations.

the same guy told me that just as Bag End's 15 is the be-all-end-all 1x15, the Aguilar GS112 is the be-all-end-all 1x12.

anyone else find this true?

also, anyone have experience with Eden's own CXM112? i like it cause its the lightest thus far @ 35 lbs. and stands taller than the others.

at this point, it seems like i'm might go Aguilar or Eden... but the Epifani might be what i'm looking for.
  11. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I think the berg is the best as I own the 2-12, but I have heard all the basic 12's except the eden. I think the berg just had all around the best sound. The ag seemed very muffled an the epi sounds really good by itself or in an acoustic type setting but seemed to be to soft to come across in a rock setting. .02
  12. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I find this to be very wrong. THe Epifani is clearer, goes lower with greater ease and strength (if that is possible) the highs have more clarity, there is not the noticable roll off inthe lower frequencies. IMO, the Epifani is the better 112 cabinet. For me, the Aguilar line of cabinets is somewhat lacking. I'd put them in the same category as a Peavey, but better than a Hartke. Just nothing spectacular about them. The Epi's on the other hand are livlier, more open, more capable cabs than a lot that are on the market IMO.
  13. 66jazzbass

Aug 8, 2001
    NY, NY
    I don't know what you're hearing but I A/B'd the Berg, Epi and Ag and am hearing something totally different. I did it while visiting the LA Bass Exchange over the summer. Did you hear them all in the same room with the same amp? I found the EPi to be weak in the lows. How could you compare the Aguilar to Peavey? I guess we all hear things in our own way but I found the ag to be best all around, I did like the Berg but not as much and the Epi was just not that good.
  14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey you guys, ease up on the Peavey now! :D I like Peavey cabs but I do like all of the options that have been named in this thread better. Peavey doesn't make a 112 anyway but if they did, I would take it over the Working Man's 112.
  15. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD

It was in the same room, all I did was move the cable from speaker to the other one. FWIW, I prefer the sound of the Epi. But what I like is just that, what I like. If I were given a choice, and I was, I would choose the Epi. I think I quantified everything with an "IMO" but if I didn't then let me inject it here. The Epi fit my style of play, matched my technique, sounded better with my pre and power amp, just fit the bill more. If the Ag is better in the low end in your opinion, I"d ask what's producing the low end? And Eden head? An SWR Head? An Ampeg? What instrument are these lows originating on? A Dan Electro or Fodera? For me, and My ALembic bass, and F1X Pre and SF2 Superfilter, and QSC 3002 Power Amp and 8 gauge Speakon to Speakon cable, the Epi was better.

As far as comparing the Ag to the Peavey, I've owned the Peavey and compared the two in another store with the same equipment listed above (minus the 8 gauge speakon to speakon cable). For the money that the store was asking for the Ag gear, the Peavey was a better bargain. The slight difference in the 410 TXV and the Ag 410 was not wrth the extra $$ that the store wanted for the Ag. THey sounded the same to me. The Ag was not significantly louder, or clearer, or faster, or less hissy, or anything that made it stand out from the Peavey cab. That's either a compliment to the Peavey line or a ho hum for the overpriced (comparatively) Ag gear.
  16. Bag End S12-D , I sit mine atop a Bag End S15-D and its one sweet little stack!
  17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Any Berg owner's wanna chime in?
  18. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I demoed a S12-D before I bought my S15-D, and liked it very much. I can't claim to have compared it to other 12s, though.

Rick - what do you see as your advantage to going with a S12-D/S15-D stack vs. a pair of S15-Ds? I'm getting ready to add a second Bag End to my current S15-D, and hadn't considered a 1x12...
  19. I played the Ag Berg and Epi 1x12s. I thought the Ag sounded boxy, The Epi sounded too flowery, and the Berg was my fave of the three. I vowed to never own a cab with a tweeter until playing through the Berg. The tweeter in the Berg is transparent (can't hear it as a seperate component, completely complimentary). The Berg has strong, present (not flowery) singing highs without sounding brassy or nasal or harsh.

I'm not saying it's the right cab for everyone. But it was an easy decision for me.

This is kinda like the three bears. Someones been playing through my cabinet and.....
  20. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I tried out a Berg, an Ag, and an EA 112 last week Monday as Bass Central and the Ag of the three was the only one that had any real bottom to add to my EA 208's.

Of the other 2, the Berg sounded the best on its own IMHO. It just didn't add much to what I already had. It didn't hurt that the Ag was $150+ cheaper too.

They didn't have an Epifani in, but if it sounds at all like their 310 or 212, it likely rocks, but again, I plan on using the 1 12 with a 208 cab or cabs depending on the room.

As far as terming the Ag "boxy", I'm not sure what that means, but, I don't know that I'd like the sound of the Ag as a stand alone as much as the Berg or perhaps the Epifani. The EA didn't make it in my book at all although I love their 208 and 210 3 way cabinets, as inefficient as they're claimed to be.