Best sounding, yet light, body and neck woods?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Jan 9, 2006.

1. I'm looking for a light weight bass, most likely having it custom built, that would have a GOOD sound (running Bart pickups and preamp or as good). Now, I'm not looking for JUST the lightest wood, but need to have very good tonal qualities.

Post your advise for body and neck woods below. I may have someone build it for me (as in one of the fine builders on here), or I may use Warmoth parts. FYI

2. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    hmmm interesting.... My korina bodied MTD is one of the lightest basses I've ever held in my LIFE... maybe its just that slab of korina? The website above lists it as a medium to heavy wood....
  3. You shouldn't forget that there's another way to get the weight off of a bass and that's by building light. One can start with any of the woods mentioned, and just by the building technique, make a heavy or a light instrument.

I think that builders that have learned to build light are way ahead of the game.

4. Thanks for your input, Hambone. Would you care to offer up some names of these builders? Thanks! :)
  5. greg

Jun 1, 2004

Rob Elrick makes some of the lightest and best sounding basses out there.
  6. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My warmoth korina bodied jazz bass, has resulted into a rather heavy bass. Heavier than my Swamp Ash, Lakland 55-01.
  7. If your looking for a great light weight bass, consider a Reverend Rumblefish. I own 13 basses and my Rumblefish gets the most stage time out of all them! :bassist:
  8. Oh, I guess I should add that the bass will be a 6 string. FYI
  9. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Maybe Mike Tobias is one of those guys Hambone's talking about :smug: Totally forgot that the builder does have a say in the way the bass is built/can make a bass lighter/heavier with technique, but I know my MTD535 is light like a toy, its Korina bodied with wenge neck and maple fretboard. DreamBrotherJKNY and CaptainScarlet played it, although I don't know if Jae'll remember how light it was cause he only played it for a bit. But its definately like a toy.

My F Bass which as a solid one piece ash body, and maple top with all maple neck is actually really heavy but it balances well on the strap, so I don't really feel it, so weight isn't really EVERYTHING either....
  10. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    "Imbuya" (known as Brazilian walnut)
    Ken Smith Bass makes some with that kind of wood
  11. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i was hestitant when Mike Tobias told me he only used "medium weight" ash for his basses. i wanted something featherweight, too. but my 635 is by far THE lightest 6 stringer i've ever put on.
  13. I'm curious. What weight (in pounds) would be medium weight, . . . . . . . what would be considered heavy?
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    That's all perception....I'd consider medium weight to be 9-11lbs, heavy 12+ for five strings. For sixes, I'd consider 10-12 to be medium. Other people could think different.
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The MTD 535 I owned had a tulipwood body and wenge neck. It was amazingly light and had killer tone.
  16. +1
  17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Mike is also making some of his necks from ash. Austin Bass Trader's had a 635 with an ash neck that I'd love to play.

Oddly, the lightest bass I've owned was a Fender '57 reissue P-Bass with a maple neck/fingerboard and a really lightweight alder body. In my limited travels I've never played another alder bodied bass as lightweight as it was. It had a great sound.
  18. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    When I had a custom built, Chris Stambaugh recommended a Spanish Cedar core for its light weight and quality tone.

my all Koa 4 string is also very light (around 7.5 lbs.) and sounds very nice.

Good luck,
  19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have comissioned Matt at FBB to make me a lightweight (but resonant) bass, and we went with a design of North American spruce for the body core, with denser exotic hardwood for the top and back faces.