Best source for Ampeg F-1X pre amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NOLABASS, Dec 14, 2002.

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Where can I find an Ampeg F-1X dealer, and what should I expect to pay for a new or used unit?
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Check my sig...

...can't post any numbers here (against forum rules!), but feel free to PM or e-mail me directly - or get the number off the website and give me a call!
  3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Do you mean an Alembic F1-X? If so, and you want a new one, Gard is your man! I just purchased one from BC. You can expect to pay anywhere from $400-500 for a used one in excellent condition. You can get a new one for around $599-650, depending on where you get it!;)
  4. dancinDave

dancinDave Guest

Apr 15, 2001
    Rochester, NY. USA
    I have an Alembic F-1X in very good condition, (a couple scratches on top from rack mounting, front is very nice shape and it works perfectly) that I will sell for $350+shipping
    let me know:
  5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    If I may...

My good Friend Ron Mcgee is selling Alembic again, he's a one man Alembic dealer, and I'm pretty sure he has a new unit in stock.

He's a really nice, personable guy (I'm sure Gard is too)

Give him a call at (209) 345-3744

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    So, that answers that question, I couldn't find an Ampeg F-1X anywhere!, thanks folks!

BTW Gard, moderation is the needed survival skill to live in NOLA these days. To old for that sh*t.

And thanks for the offers to sell, it's Christmas and of course, I'm a broke musician....
  7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    dancin dave, I'll contact you in a couple months if I have the money to see if you still have the Alembic.
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    At this time last year, my local Music Go Round store had a really nice one for $199. I was focusing on some family issues and missed it... Same store had a nice SF-2 for the same price 3 or 4 months ago... Boy, that would have been a nice pair...

If you're not in a big hurry, keep your eyes and ears open and maybe you'll luck out.

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Now for an FAQ. Seems there are two different models, one based on a Fender design, and one based on an SVT design. Is that the case. If so I'm looking at the SVT'er.
  10. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Then I think what you're looking for is the Ampeg SVP-PRO.

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Starting to get the picture. I'm playing through a Demeter VTBP-201s and I've been reading threads on possible tubes. Wanting a warmer sound than the Sovtecs. As a long time SVT guy, I wanted something in that direction. I read about the Demeter, F-1x and I guess the SVP Pro in comparison threads, and got my wires crossed. I would appreciate comments on either of the Alembic or Ampeg, I think I'm gonna take some good advise on the tubes and find a pair of Chinese 12ax7s for the Demeter. Which I love BTW.
  12. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    I got mine, mint condition, but used, off ebay for $350, very happy with it.
  13. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I haven't tried the Demeter or the Ampeg. The Alembic does have a very "warm" sound, to me. It doesn't get grindy like the Ampeg though. If you push it, more of a fartiness. I use a SansAmp for grind.