1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Source for quality decals for Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bcolins, Jan 12, 2012.

1. I'm refinishing my Jazz bass neck with an amber tint to give it a vintage look.

I'l be removing the existing decal in the process and will need a replacement.

Where can I find a quality decal at a reasonable price?

Brian in Austin

2. I've seen decals from $9 to $25 and they all look the same. Can anyone give me some input on a quality decal at a fair price?

Brian

3. A real Fender can get a replacement decal if you meet Fender's requirements.

Be advised: they are pretty stiff and unbending.

4. Joe's right. I think you might have an uphill battle with Fender here though, I think they will only authorize a decal in matters of repair, i.e. replacement of a broken neck. They might not give you one for a refin, as that would come under the heading of "voluntary".

5. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    There is no uphill battle with Fender. Provide your serial number, and reason for needing the decal, if they agree, they will sell you a restoration decal. If not, they won't. Fender is always the best place to get decals, but usually their requirement is that you have the decal applied by an Authorized service provider.

6. I only meant uphill battle in the sense is that I think they may not authorize a decal for a refin.

7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Yeah Fender is actually pretty easy to deal with, but they do have criteria for acquisition of some Fender product. I did authorized service for them for more than a few years, and it can depend as much on who your talking to on the phone as fitting the criteria. LOL

8. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX