1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best speaker for Ampeg B15N cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ringhammer, Dec 19, 2018.

1. I have an old (late ‘60’s/ early 70’s) B15 cabinet (no amp on the fliptop...) that I plan to use with some of my smaller amp heads, such as a BT25 and maybe a B25B (if I can find one cheap). Basically going to run 50 to 100 watts into it. I’m looking at Eminence speakers and the Legend CA 154. I am definitely putting a 4 ohm in as the BT25 runs at 112(?) watts at 4 ohms, and I may occasionally plug in one of the old SVT’s into it as well, so 4 ohms for sure.

I will be keeping my eye out for a B15N that would go with this cabinet, but I imaging that will be hard to find...

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also, does the early 70’s B25B head have a selector to run at 4ohms? I have a mid 70’s B25B 2x15 cabinet that has a 4 or 16 ohm switch, so I would think that the B25B head has a 4 ohm option.

2. If you intend to add the B15 amp portion in the future your choice is only 8Ω. A B15 has no 4Ω tap only 8Ω with a single cabinet and 16Ω with an extension cabinet in series.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The B25B is 8 or 16 ohms. The B25B cabs came with the series parallel switch so they could be used with the other amps - V4, SVT, etc, - which supported 2 and 4 ohm operation.

If you plan to use this cab with a B25B get an 8 ohm driver. If this is the 69-80 style thiele cab an Eminence Beta 15 is supposed to be a good fit. I tried one in my double baffle cab and had them in my B25B 2x15 and they worked well. I haven't tried one in the later cabs. I think @JimmyM has a later style B15 cab and has tried more than one speaker in it? You could also try asking in the portaflex club thread.

Stumbo likes this.