1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best speaker to replace a blown Bergantino HT115 driver?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowTone56, Mar 30, 2009.

1. LowTone56

LowTone56 Guest

Mar 30, 2009
    Hi, new on the board ... I have a Bergantino HT115 and the driver intermittently crackles. Can anyone recommend a replacement speaker that would closely mimic this cab's extreme himax woofer? I'm so bummed as I love this tone. Thank you for recommendations!

2. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
  3. +1 email Jim, He seems to get great results, be shocking to replace w/ somthin lesser!

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Intermittent Crackles? It could be just a dodgy connection. have you had
    a good look round the wiring. If the drivers voice coil is rubbing or a pigtail is failing its not normal for this to be intermittent.
    If the driver is blown you will need to replace it with the exact original
    or better still as its a Pro quality product no doubt Jim will be able to arrange to re-cone the original driver rather more economically.:ninja:

5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    It would be considered a criminal act on this board not to replace with the correct speaker from Berg.
    If you don't, bad bass kharma will follow you for the next 1,000 years.
    You wouldn't want that, would you?

6. LowTone56

LowTone56 Guest

Mar 30, 2009
    O.M.G.!!! Eeek!

Yah, I would like to keep the exact tone. That's the magic of this cab. I pulled out the speaker and the connections seem OK, and there was no chance the wire was touching the cone. The cone and dome appear to be intact. The whole cab is in pristine shape, visually. When I hear the crackling sound, it always comes as I'm playing Ab and below on the E string. This is a first for me. I have swapped out various cables to rule out that part of the signal chain. And there's no crackling when I play through other cabs.

I'm thinking the reconning idea might be good since Eminence probably doesn't make this speaker anymore. Are their good places to recommend for reconing? I'm in No. Cal. Thanks.

7. tried gently pressing the cone in/out to see/hear any rubbing noise?? A sign that yr coils gone KAPUT. I'd get an expert to assess it. My be sumthin else. I had a crackling noise in an old EV- turned out to be the input connection & wiring all gone to cr@p. $10 fix

8. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Daer Mr. LowTone,
    You're playing with fire.
    Not just regular fire, but a fire started by nitromethane and burning on magnesium.
    In order to avoid the curse you would have to call Mr. Berg and ask him for a re-coner.
    I'm not sure that it is even safe to sell a hurt or modified Berg.
    Sincerely,
    Satan