1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Best speakers for an old Ampeg V2 4x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ringhammer, May 11, 2018.

1. Ringhammer

Ringhammer Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2016
    S. F. Bay Area
    Posted this question at the end of another thread, but maybe a new thread will have more success?

I picked up a V2 (4x12) cabinet today. I’m hoping someone can suggest the best 12” speaker for it for guitar. And alternatly the best 12” speaker for bass. This will mostly always be used with my V4 head, and will probably be used more for guitar than bass.

Is there a good all around speaker that my be best for both guitar and bass in this cabinet? I’d guess not, but if there is such a speaker anyone can think of, let me know.

This thing is a monster, BTW. I think it’s heavier than my 810...

A91EBAD8-3DDA-4101-9751-D422412AB9D1.jpeg

jdubbass38 likes this.
  2. It really depends on your tone goals for guitar and bass, and which instrument will be used most often. The need (by most players) for strongly peaked mid-highs for guitar makes most bass guitar drivers unsuitable. Whatever you choose is going to be a compromise.

Also, what is your budget?

If the use will be mainly bass guitar, you might get by quite well with Eminence alpha or Beta 12's. Though they will have limited deep bass and Xmax, 4 of them would be more than adequate provided that you don't strive for deep bass (lots of bass boost). And the highs are remarkably extended for a bass speaker. If you are mainly interested in guitar, the Jensen Mod12-70 will cover both roles at the power levels they are likely to see from the V4b.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  3. Ringhammer

Ringhammer Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2016
    S. F. Bay Area
    This will probably mostly be used for guitar, so that is what I guess is the question, which speaker might be the best for guitar, or, actually, closest to what it actually came with, but maybe be able to take more abuse than the original speakers.

The amp is a V4, and channel 2 has had the mods to make it similar to a V4b.

I guess I wanted to know which speakers would be best for bass in case I wanted to use the setup as a bass rig.

Thanks for the info.

4. The Jensen Mod12-70 will sound best with guitar. The two Eminence drivers will sound best on bass. In your situation I would get the Jensens.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Add an HPF to your signal chain set around 80hz to protect the speakers when you use it for bass.

Ringhammer and AstroSonic like this.
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    You could install 2 of each and use 2 for guitar and the other 2 for bass.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021