Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Standalone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Jan 5, 2004.

1. 2x15 (With Horn)

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. 4x10

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. 4x12

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Other: Please elaborate in post.

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  1. So, what do you think would be best as a standalone?

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I'm certainly biased, but I love 2x15" cabs.

Cheers,
    JL

3. for a standalone cabinet, it has to be ampegs 8x10. although i suppose any 8x10 would suffice

4. axe

axe

Feb 1, 2003
    Yukon Oklahoma
    I use an AVATAR 4 x 10 It sound's great!

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    it depends on the brand of each.

6. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I am a recent 212 fan. Best stand alone that I can fit in my car. 810s were my fave prior.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If price/size are not a consideration, then I'd say that the Accugroove El Whappo would by my clear top choice. The Whappo, Jr. is also a great choice, if you are wanting something slightly smaller and more portable (which I did, so I bought one). Another great contender is the EA VL-310 (or CX-310, which is exactly the same). These are out of production, but can still be found used. While I have not heard one myself, other folks speak highly of the Berg HT322. If you are looking for a smaller box, and don't need to move massive amounts of air, the EA Wizzy 1x12 is very, very impressive. It doesn't really sound like many of the other 1x12's I have heard. It has a good bit more midrange than my Epifani T-112's.

In general, if I am only going to have one cab, I tend to prefer one with different sized drivers, like the Accugroove (even though the Whappo, Jr. has two 12"s in it, they are each tuned quite differently, and are contained in their own box within the box). For combining cabs, I especially like 12" and 10" speaker matchups - like a 1x12 with a 1x10, or a 2x12 with a 2/4x10. But, you only want one cab, so I'd stick with my recommendations, above. However, if you really want me to chose amongst your listed choices, I'd say 4x10 (preferably the Epifaini T-410UL), or a 2x15 (but only if it's the older Mesa Boogie Diesel or RR series). 3x10's can also be very satisfying (the VL-310 is, indeed a 3x10).

Hope this helps, Tom.

8. Do you know any 2x10, or 2x12 that can handle around 450W at 4Ohms and cost around 300£ (450$)

9. I can attest to the Bergantino HT322 being superb. I don't own one but I tried one at a music store somewhere and it ruled.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That 4 ohm requirement limits your choices somewhat. I know that Eden's new T-210XST comes in a 4 ohm flavor, and would meet the power handling needs, but since it is new, you probably can't find one at that price. However, I do know that the Eden 212XLT comes in a 4 ohm config (I own an 8 ohm 212XLT), and I think it is a fine sounding cab that could function as a standalone. That said, it is not as uncolored as some of the others I mentioned, so it may be an issue of whether or not you like its sound. I would call it somewhat warm, but fairly articulate (though not as tight as, say, a Wizzy).

Tom.

11. A cab that can handle 250W@8Ohms for about £300 (450$) Would be cool too.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You should have no problem meeting that requirement. If you find any specific cabs and want some feedback, I'd be happy to contribute, if I can.

Tom.

13. Sorry, I meant a 2x10 that cxan handle 250W@ 8 Ohms for about £300 (450$)

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Gotcha. Still, you should be able to find them. A used Peavey, SWR, Bag End, ACME, and maybe even Epifani or Bergantino might fit the bill, as may a new cab from Avatar, Peavey, or custom makers like Low Down Sound and Joey Nahas.

Tom.

15. Unfortunatly I live in the UK, so those custom cabs are not an option. Also, prices here are insanely more expensive.Whereas the list price for a Peavey Pro210 (What I'd like to get) is
    800$ in the states here I'd have to pay at least that much for it...I'm stil looking but its quite tough..

16. Tommorow I'm gonna go to my local bass store and see if they can do some sorta of special deal...

What cheap 2x10 250W at 8 Ohms would you suggest?

(I'm using a firebass 700 head, and I can't afford more tha nabout £350 for the cab at the moment...)