"Best" Status Hyperactive pickup height: close to the strings or super-low?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Sep 25, 2005.

1. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Hello, fellow Status users. I was wondering what you think is the best way to adjust your Status humbuckers. Do you like them really high, really low or somewhere in the middle?

Myself I can't decide, sometimes I think they sound best as close to the strings as possible and sometimes I have the feeling they come across as too boomy. Also, is your bridge pickup adjusted lower or higher than your neck pickup?
    I'd email Rob Green about this, but I feel I've already bothered him too many times. :p
    Let's see what you think!
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I've had Status pups but no longer. But any pup is personal preference within their working range, which as a rule, I set as close to the strings as possible within that range. Too high and they distort, hit the strings, or just get in the way. Too low and they lose volume, low frequencies, and sensitivity to response.

Most tonal qualities can be compensated for in various ways. You can combat boom by varying eq, playing down toward the bridge, changing attack (pulling up strings), and light palming/damping. Typically the neck pup is lower cause there's more string travel there but that can vary with the pup and a players needs/preference.