Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Steve Harris Bass Solos

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chaosMK, Dec 2, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    A while back I was listening to the old school metal station they have out here, and heard an Iron Maiden song I wasnt familiar with. It had a killer, very melodic bass solo in it. I was impressed by Harris' particular style of soloing- it had a cool flavor to it. Any thoughts on what song it might have been? Where can you find some of his best bass solos/features?

2. maybe "phantom of the opera" from their first album?

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    In my opinion the best stuff is on the following albums

1) powerslave: he basically is playing quick non-stop on this album

2) piece of mind: very cool melodic baselines - see "revelations" and "to tame a land" (first that come to mind)

3) killers: I think he had a great tone on this one.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Someone told me that "Blood on the World's Hands" is probably the song I heard on the radio. I havent been able to find it online yet though.

5. dregen77

dregen77

Oct 19, 2005
    Barcelona, Spain
    "Powerslave" is where you find the best stuff from Maiden in my opinion. Harris does an amazing job there.

6. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    "blood on the world's hands" is track 8 on "the X factor"

Steve has great lines running through most of maiden's material, because most of it is written on bass, as he doesn't play guitar apparently.

7. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    man.. Steve is a god.. Killers ROCKS!!! I also really dig the bass solo in "Stranger In A Strange Land" of the Somewhere In Time album.

just listen to Ides Of March segue into Wrathchild on "Killers".. BASS HEAVEN! so much good bass on killers.

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I LOVED Somewhere in Time, GREAT ALBUM...

Not his best solo work, and not overly difficult, but the lines for Wasted Years has stuck with me for years. I just can't get enough of it. Stranger kicks too, and Sea of Madness.

Powerslave was one of the first albums I ever owned that I loved start to finish, and I still pull out Fear of the Dark every few months.

9. i remember the somewhere in time tour. damn, bringing back some good memories of standing about 10 ft from the man as he played.