Best Story of Bass Karma ever.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluesy_92, Feb 12, 2009.

1. bluesy_92

bluesy_92

Aug 25, 2008
    Ok, so it started yesterday. I had a BC Rich Warlock that I was planning on selling for $135. I found someone at my school who wanted to buy it, and pay me later. The Warlock was my only bass, since my Squier died to a bad truss rod. It didn't matter since I had finally saved enough for a Fender Precision. So, today I brought the bass to school. He said he talked it over with his parents, and was in too much financial trouble to afford it. I just gave it to him for free, since he really wanted a bass.

So today, I go to Guitar Center. I have a 10 percent off coupon, so the typical $500 dollar tag would be $450. Then, throw in straplocks, $470, plus tax. At 5% tax in Massachusetts, it would have been $493.50. I had brought $500.

Now, here comes the deal of a lifetime. I find a MIM Fender P-Bass. It is the '08 model, instead of the '09, so it is on clearance at $330. The coupon brings the price to just under $300 (Just for reference, a Squier Vintage Modified Series P-Bass costs $300, so my Fender cost me as much as a Squier). After $100 for a hardshell case I didn't know I could afford, and $20 for Dunlop Straplocks, the total is $420 plus tax, or $441 total.

Here comes the best part. As everyone knows, the electronics in MIM instruments are questionable. The quality is inconsistant, so hums and weak pickups aren't uncommon. I finally get home, and plug in my bass. The pickups are almost as strong as active pickups, and there is absolutely no hum. The electronics areabsolutely PERFECT. Best day ever.

2. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Congrats man!!! That is a great story. Enjoy the bass!!!

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Very cool, and very kind gesture you did. My hat's off to you!

4. You probably got a pal for life LOL Actually I would name my first kid after you, even if it was a girl

Maybe he will turn out to be a big pro and make lots of money and one day you may be in need.

5. I think that is great! Are you going to put a new neck on the ol' Squire? It is always good to have a backup. Grats, on getting an instrument you are happy with. Cheers.

6. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Great story and congrats on the new P.

Where are the pictures?

7. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Sweet

8. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    its ironic how i am always helping people but never get anything in retun, it snot that i want to, but well maybe i just get strong friendships, which is enough..

Congrats man that was a hell of a deal, and a hell of a thing to do:)

9. lunker

lunker

May 27, 2008
    Houston

:eyebrow:

Congrats on the new bass though.

10. +1 :bassist:

11. sounds like it was a good day for everyone involved. Congrats to you!

12. No pics, no bass.

13. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    Props to you my friend! I have often said that Karma can be one mean B***h...but she can also be a one divine lady! I am sure that you will reap more good fortune from such a generous act!

14. bluesy_92

bluesy_92

Aug 25, 2008
  15. A humble living is a good one. Money controls us so much these days it's unreal. Very kind gesture man, I would've done the same thing.

Makanudo, good deads come around, but no one knows when it'll happen. You're building up a lot man, just wait for it, you'll be glad you did.

16. Siri

Siri

Sep 26, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Ah yes, there is hope for humanity. A selfless act builds good karma. The other person is you.
    And congrats on a nice new P base, i've been playing my 97 MIM P bass since I bought it new. Recommend a Badass bridge upgrade since you electronics are working well.

17. For a short while..you are the Bass Buddha.

18. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    That was a beautiful gesture on your part, bluesy_92. Your parents have done a fine job! :)

Everyone on here remembers what it felt like to yearn for that first bass, and what a transformative experience playing one has turned out to be.

You supplied a tool of expression to a desperate young person who'll likely use it to transform himself from being 'just another kid', to being a musician!

In time, what goes around does come around...

19. bluesy_92

bluesy_92

Aug 25, 2008
    Thats why I gave it to him. I remembered about a year ago wanting my first bass, and how good it felt to get it. I wanted to pass on the joy.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021