1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best strap locks?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Randy Howard, May 2, 2015.

1. Randy Howard

Randy Howard

Apr 2, 2015
    This has probably been kicked around before. What brand of strap lock is best, most reliable, most durable, toughest finish, easy to use? I would want black colored ones. Thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've used Dunlop for decades and no other strap locks have given me a reason to switch yet.

3. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    I'm a big fan of Schaller. I kind of think its like asking what the best strings are.

4. +1

5. Randy Howard

Randy Howard

Apr 2, 2015
    I should mention that the strap I currently use is a Planet Waves and the end leathers are at least 1/8" thick, if that makes a difference.

6. Fit4pain

Fit4pain Supporting Member

May 30, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    LOXX

tank73 and JakeyBran like this.
  7. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

Planet Waves Lock Strap. Period.

Humbled likes this.
  8. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Red washers from inside Grolsch beer bottle caps. Never failed me yet and you get a complimentary beer too.

RobertUI, lsabina, Nev375 and 2 others like this.
  9. lg_Schaller_Strap_Security_Locks_Detail.
    I have Schallers installed on all of my basses—and I've been using them since the early 80's. Never had a problem with them.

You're probably going to get 50 different suggestions here, and what it'll come down to is you going to your local music store and choosing between the two different makes that they carry...

10. DinoRock

DinoRock

Mar 26, 2015
    New York State
    +1 Dunlop Dual Straploks and for studio only guitars and basses I've started using Fender Strap Blocks (rubber washers that secure a strap pretty well).

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    This topic comes up regularly, and always ends the same...its best to just get what makes the most sense to you.

bholder and BazzTard like this.
  12. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

SunnBass, MikeyV, JakeyBran and 5 others like this.
  13. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    These, but they're hard to find:

GN-SL12-TAN.
    lock.

KickingBass and BASSKADET like this.
  14. not even close.....DUNLOP

15. djasterix

djasterix

Jan 1, 2012
    Lima, Peru
    Dunlop Dual Design, best of all time...

DwaynieAD likes this.
  16. I have schallers and loxx. I prefer loxx they are better for heavy basses. And very silent when you are playing the bass in the studio and with headphones.

17. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

When it comes to steel locks I Have always used Schaller till I bought a bass with Dunlops a month ago. Dunlop Dunlop Dunlop.

Planet waves locking straps are great too. But beer washers... Mmmm beeeeer.

18. CGremlin

CGremlin Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Schaller for me, although it's rather critical they be put on the strap in the correct orientation (open side up), and checked every now and again to make sure the nut is tight. I had a Dunlop fail a couple of months back when one of the bearings came out of the pin, but fortunately the bass didn't hit the floor.

.BumeStik. likes this.
  19. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Schaller and Dunlop are two of the best and most popular. Both do the job well.

nshuman, squirefan and DwaynieAD like this.