Best strategy for talking a salesman down?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rayzak, Mar 22, 2001.

1. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I know i've been posting quite a bit lately, but I don't want to regret any decisions I make with my hard earned cashola and your input is priceless to me.
    O.k., for example, Guitar Center has the Bass 750 head for $1149. How much can I realistically talk them down? What do you guys find is the best strategy? Something like,"well, I was hoping to get it for less, I guess i'll go down the road to Mars". What has your experience's been? I'm not much of a wheeler and dealer, but don't want to get ripped off. Thanks.
  2. guitar center will beat any other advertised price. look around a lot, bassnw and such, and see the lowest quote you can get.
  3. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    A couple of good starters are

Go in and have a try of the amp for a while - take your own bass in as it will show that your serious about it, then look at the price and ask "Whats the best price you can do this for ?"

As an opening gambit it works quite well - the salesman knows you want the amp, but also knows that you aren't going to pay the tag price.

If they still won't budge try "Such and such quoted me this $XXXX less than this, but they're out of town and I'd rather get it from here"

And finally "I'd really like this, but at the end of the day I can't go that high - I've got $1,000"

Or forget the above and just start with "I like this amp - I have $1,000 - make it happen" - if you have the confidence you'll probably get a way with a good deal !
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Definatly bring your own bass with you, main reason is that you will get the most accurate idea of what it sounds like through that amp. 2nd it does show the sales rep that you are a bit more serious about making the purchase.

When you go in make sure you have the cash on hand and are ready to walk out of there with the amp that day. If the head is $1149 tell the sales rep all you have is $900 dollars and you wanna walk outta there today with the amp. this usually works for me, if that dont work simply walk out of the store. more than likely if they know you have the cash they will try and stop you. But dont let them make the 1st offer, its best to low ball them and slowly work your way up in price. they usually wont go lower than 20% over cost.
  5. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Cassanova...good advise. I like to show'em the cash, "this is all I got man."

One question though. How do you know what cost is?
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    well u dont know what cost I used to know what cost was because I worked for a big retail music chain here. But a good rule of thumb is if its selling for $1000 it costs about 1/2 that to make maybe a little bit more.
  7. Hit the store on a slow day (tuesday maybe?). Get there early enough so you have plenty of time to try the amp out (with own bass.. for reasons stated above), but make your move at some point fairly close to the store's closing time.

I think the sales person would be a bit more inclined to try to sell if this sense of urgency was created (because there probably haven't been many sales so far that day).

I'd also ask a lot of questions while trying the amp out to show real interest.. and bring in prices from places like BassNW.
  8. 810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    tell him "my cousin vinnie will be by to break your freakin' kneecaps off if you don't give me a good deal"

rub a little garlic and spaghetti sauce on you for effect.
  9. Places like Guitar Center and Sam Ash usually have pretty decent prices on the stuff. What I usually do is ask what the best they can do for cash. Then offer to pay that but out of the door after taxes. Usually taxes is around 7% so every little bit helps.
  10. i just got a great deal on a swr bass 350, i actually had a few stores calling me back and saying heres the price we will give you did you buy an amp yet?

this is all i did:

i emailed all the swr dealers and said:

hello i am comparing prices and i would like to know how much you will sell a bass 350 for. I will be buying one as soon as i get the best price.
    (and I did have the $$$)

then I got the best price and called all the stores that are competitive and got them as low as they would go. I said things like "well this music store offered me $1200.00"

basically i got them trying to beat eachother

this took me about 1 week and I knocked $400 off the price.

and after I bought it I had all the stores calling me to buy theirs (hopefully not at lower prices I wasn't home- getting amp)

so maybe this will work or not who knows
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Since these strategies can be applied to more than just amplification, wouldn't it benefit from going to miscellaneous?

Please don't kill me if you disagree. :)
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Tell him he's still young and has too much to live for.

What I've found is that once you give them the impression that you're serious about buying, my best negotiating practice is to sit back and watch them self-negotiate. I've gotten so many ridiculous deals this way I can't count them, like the guy who had my (future) 78 Jazz for $700 and dropped it to $500 including tax after this probing question"

"So...what'll you take for it?"

13. Damn, Brad, you beat me to it!! [​IMG]
  14. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Oyesterman, yeah after I posted it I thought it might not be the best place, I am looking to buy an amp though so i've been hanging out in this forum lately.

wmb810, that just may work, i'm Italian so I always smell like spaghetti sauce and garlic anyway. lol=)

Thanks guys, keep 'em comin', I can't wait to see what kind of deals I can get.
  15. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I tried all the things i know of to get McGuire to go alil' lower on a Mexi Jazz [for a friend] they said best they could do was $325 + tax. I think i might've pissed the guy off alil' bit cause it was a '99 MIM their regular price was $450-about 20-30 over list. I don't go back there that often-i go to my trusted dealer. Moral-don't piss them off cause then you might get a worse deal next time. Thats all
  16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"This is a Ruger .44 magnum and I need that Aguilar over there!"
  17. but what if the salesman throws a chinese throwing star in your shooting arm?
  18. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Practice real hard - get in a cool band, get a deal, get famous and the manufacturer wiil give you it free !

Yeah ? It could happen. No really it could !
  19. It also helps to know people who work at the store, or to try to deal with one person all the time. Buy strings from them, anything. Once they get to know you, they will be more willing to give you a good price.
  20. Yeah, and if you've bought stuff from the same place before but they don't remember you or it's not the same salesperson, make sure you slip that fact into the conversation early on so they know you're a legit customer with long-term potential.

Another thing to remember is when you're close to closing the deal, it's not too difficult to get the sales dog to throw in little 'extras' like straps and cords and gig bags, etc. since they usually get them free or super cheap from the mfrs. anyway. I've gotten some nice straps that way. :)

Oh, and one last thing: Don't take negotiating advice from Homer Simpson.