1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best string choice for thin jazz neck?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by autoglide, Oct 17, 2009.

1. autoglide

autoglide

Feb 7, 2005
    Bass is a Fender P-Lyte full scale (jazz neck). Thinking about either Ernie Ball 2804 flats (45-100) or 2806 flats (50-105). Would the 2806's have too much tension on this thin neck vs. the 2804's. I want a nice deep tone. Also considering DA Chrome flats in same sizes. It currently has 45-100 roundwounds which are too bright & I don't like. Thanks in advance for all advice & opinions.

2. Strongjag

Strongjag

Aug 14, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Beards.
    DR Lo-Riders. But then again thats all I use

3. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    Go with Fender mediums, 50-100.

4. autoglide

autoglide

Feb 7, 2005
    I'm more interested in knowing WHICH of the 2 string sizes (either 45-100 or 50-105) rather than the brand name, could be used on this bass to get the best bottom tone for blues style finger picking. Would I notice more bottom on the heavier strings? Would they put a lot more tension on the neck? Thanks again for all replies.

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    How stable is the neck today? Do you find yourself making tweaks regularly? Any idea if the truss rod is maxed out. The 50-105 will add about 20% more tension. If that's the tone your after I would give it a go assuming there are not any known issues with the neck. And if things don't work out, you can turn used flats.

6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    The heavier strings will put more tension on the neck, but not enough to damage it, if that's what you're getting at. You might need a setup afterwards though.

Insofar as the tone, they will both produce the same notes, assuming you're using the same tuning with either set...

7. autoglide

autoglide

Feb 7, 2005
    Neck is straight & stable...truss rod not at all maxed out. Bass is 15 yrs. old but barely played by previous owner. I'm just looking for the fattest tone I can get with flat wounds, and really don't know if the heavier strings will be much more noticable than the 45-100's. I'm kinda new at this and am trying to buy the right ones the first time around. I'll go with either one of them based on what those of you with experience suggest what I should do. The action is high, so I'm going to need to do a setup with the new strings regardless of which ones I choose. Also do some brands of flats have lower tension than others?

8. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Great Bass! I have my Pbass Lyte (1984) strung with 45-100 and get great, thick tone especially in the lower register. I am using Nickel Rounds which are mellow and easy on the frets. I would like to string this bass with the Half-Rounds (same gauge) which I have on my Hofner and love. That tone is thick for days. Just a suggestion. My neck is very straight and I recently adjusted due to temperature change here in Northeast (Yikes!). Although I had some room, it felt tight. Not sure if I would want 50-105's on there with another 20% tension. Seems extreme IMHO.