Best string for a 4-string Ibanez

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chap, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    I'm an amateur bass player, only been playing for 7 months. I bought an Ibanez SR800 4-string in April, and still have the strings that came with it on it. How often should I change my strings, and what brand/kind of string is the best to replace it with?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, chap, if you haven't been welcomed already.

Since your question has gone unanswered this long, here's my input;

- you change your strings when you sense they are no longer giving you sound that meets your standards. After 7 months, you probably need some.
    Here's the catch - the only way to get some personal standards, (to know when your sound is degrading), is to try some first-class strings and compare. It comes with experience after a number of string changes along the road. You develop an ear for it.

- After looking at your profile and other posts regarding your musical tastes, I think DR Hi Beams or Lo Riders are a very safe bet. At first, Hi Beams may almost knock you over, sonically. They rock the roof off the house. But they tame down as you break them in.
    DR's aren't one of the cheaper strings. But, you get what you pay for, and by using them, you will know what truly professional grade strings sound and feel like. Unlike cheap strings, they last a long time.

Many, if not most, of us find is the best place to buy DR strings. There are other very fine strings, but I think those DR Hi Beams or Lo Riders are a terrific start.

Another piece of advice - learn how to install your strings properly to deliver all they have to offer. Here's a link that can help you do that