Best String for the ol' "FENDER P" Sound?...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by iceblinko, Mar 2, 2004.

1. iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Hey all... I was just wondering what kind of strings you all use on your Fender P basses. What's the best string that brings out that traditional Fender P sound? Someone told me that it's Ernie Ball? I use Fender (alternating between Original and Super) bass strings, so I dunno. Thanks all...

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I always liked TI Jazz Flats on my Precision.
  3. GHS boomers on my Fender Custom Shop Vintage Precision (Ash body).
  4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    If you're looking for old school P-bass sound and feel, go with Fender flats. Chromes and TI flats are good strings, but have a different sound and feel.
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I have 3 pre-CBS P basses and they all have different strings on 'em. My '58 has TI Jazz Flats and the action is so low it's ridiculous. Narry a rattle and tone for days. My black '64 has the Jamerson Labella set. Very heavy with moderately high action but tremendous feel and mega low end. My white '64 was recently switched to D'Addario Half Rounds for a bit more upper register and they're working out well.
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    For Flats-T.I. flats-soft, nice balance
    Roto-77 tighter than TI's and more treble.
    Ken Smith Compressors- smooth feel, bright.
    good fretless string.
    DR-Low Riders-nickel- nice big sound, balanced.
  7. My roundwounds have been killing my fingers lately (right hand index and middle). Maybe because I am not playing as much as I used to and I have really been thinking about flatwounds but are there any that sound nice and punchy. I know that I will have to make a compromise but maybe there are some new ones that are decent (TI Flats perhaps). Plus a longer lasting string is definately a plus and may justify the higher price tag. Just a thought.
  8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    This is just screaming for TI flats.