Best string type and string model for a P Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by morf, Feb 23, 2006.

1. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    So I tried putting a set of Rotosound roundwound strings on my P Bass, and I like the stock ones better because there is much less static noise when I play them, but the sound is definately muddier. Anyone can recommend a string set (if ever that exists) that wouldnt make too much static noise when you play the strings but still have a melodic, Round (very important!) sound without being muddy?
  2. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
  3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge
    All Great Precisions Need Flats
  4. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Will do, thanks a bunch :)
  5. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Ok, ordered a set of Blue Steels Med Light strings, hope they're what I'm looking for :)
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have these strings on my fretless franken-P bass and they sound and feel awesome!!!! I think I'm in love with them.
  7. Maldoror

Oct 8, 2005
    I, too, have those strings on a fretless franken P-Bass, and they really are great. So great, in fact, that I don't think I'll ever use a different string type on that bass...
  8. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I'll give those a shot if the blue steels dont work out
  9. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've found the Blue Steels to give a very mellow, yet brilliant, and even tone for a roundwound. Not too "zingy" bright, and they sound the same through all strings and all notes.

If you want to try a flatwound that doesn't sound like a typical lifeless flatwound, give Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats a try.

VERY bright for a flatwound. Probably the best combination of flat and round in one string.

Also, Labella Black Nylon tapewounds sound pretty bright for a flatwound (though they are actually a roundwound, but feel flat because of the nylon tape).
  10. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I think the blue steels are what im looking for, not too zingy bright is exactly what I want, the rotosounds are much too bright for the p bass although they transformed the Cort's sound for the better.
  11. I used Rotos 66's on my p for over 20 years and have the frets (lack of) to prove it! Very bright and piano-like for the first 5-10 hrs of play and then they settle down and fit in the mix quite well. You may want to give themanother chance and leave them on longer. Nowadays I go the Labella flats on p (yummm) and Roto's on J route. The best of both worlds.
  12. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I've had them on there for over 3 months now, I play 5 hours a day on average, they did settle down some, but nowhere near enough to have the sound I want from my p bass. Guess its all a matter of taste.
  13. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Fender 7150's or LaBella flats on a P-Bass.
  14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I like Boomer mediums for my Ps....

- georgestrings
  15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ha ha ha! I used to use Rotos for probably the first 10 years I played. They DESTROY frets!!! Oh my!
  16. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I would give these a try.

They are similar the GHS boomers but longer lasting.
  17. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Received my Blue Steels today, I am satisfied, but not overwhelmed. Maybe I'll give flats a try
  18. Sealove

Mar 13, 2006
    Los Angeles
    There are some bassists who like to change strings quite frequently because they are specifically trying to maintain a bright metallic sound. I personally like strings better after they settle down a bit. If you plan to keep the strings on after they "settle down", you really need to keep them on and play them for a while. Then they will tame down and remain fairly constant for quite a while until they finally go dead. (BTW - That "dead" sound is what a lot of players like. James Jamerson, perhaps the greatest bassist of all time, used heavy gauged LaBella flatwounds, and never changed them. His sound was fat and full and thumpy.)

My real point is that you don't know what those Rotosounds or Blue Steels are until you keep them on for a while. Lately, I've been preferring Dean Markley NPS Roundcore -- medium light gauge. I think they are very "punchy" and not too bright. The slightly heavier A string takes some getting used to, but it is nice to have that fatter sounding string,
  19. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    For roundwounds, I've found that D'addario XLs and Precisions go together like PB&J. Not a glamorous string, but has the right amount of midrange and thump. They settle in to a nice balanced tone very quickly. Fender strings ain't too bad either.

I like brighter flatwounds like Chromes. Labellas are much thumpier and darker and I prefer them on a Jazz. TI flats have amazing mids and really thump through the mix (if that's what you're after), but less highs or lows than other flats.